The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Discussion: False Bottom Alternatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

So I had my gripes about the other methods, but you guys come along with all the little tricks to make them work.

Anyway, hopefully the info/thought-process I posted, along with the tips and tricks will be helpful for someone looking to go AG.

Going back the the stainless braid for a second though... If you don't have most of the parts laying around, don't forget to add a barbed fitting, hose clamp, and the groundwire to your shopping list before figuring out how much you save with DIY.

As for me, having tried all these options, I have everything laying around now... But I could have also have bought a false bottom for what I've spent. LOL.

Still, I like the bazooka tube first if it fits your cooler, otherwise the copper manifold seems like the best choice.

You all can disagree if you wish... Just say why.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
Going back the the stainless braid for a second though... If you don't have most of the parts laying around, don't forget to add a barbed fitting, hose clamp, and the groundwire to your shopping list before figuring out how much you save with DIY.
This is true...I've accumulated SS fittings for a while now and the SS barbs (2 1/2" barbs), SS tee, and 2 more 3/8" SS barbs would probably cost more than he kettle screen.

Yep, $20 before shipping! Plus the cost of the supply line was maybe $9 (I use a 18").

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er

This is true...I've accumulated SS fittings for a while now and the SS barbs (2 1/2" barbs), SS tee, and 2 more 3/8" SS barbs would probably cost more than he kettle screen.

Yep, $20 before shipping! Plus the cost of the supply line was maybe $9 (I use a 18").
Yeah. That's how I calculated it too. The toilet water hose is brilliant. It works pretty well. Everything you need is available at Home Depot and that alone is a huge plus for many people without a LHBS. However, when you factor in the barbed fittings and your time and everything else, the bazooka tube is, for the price, the better option for most people.

The other day was the first time I had ever held one of these in my hand though... And once I did, the decision was obvious. It was an impulse buy for me; I couldn't resist.

I didn't start this tread to knock the other options though or argue that mine is the best.... The options are what they are and I guess I just wanted something in the archives when newbs search for MLT ideas. The bazooka tube works quite well and other options do too... But understand all the details we've been hashing out here before you wind up buying all of them.... Like I have. ;-)

Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

No worries

The other reason I went with the loop was to aid in fighting off channeling and leave the door open to fly sparging in the future if I so choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #15
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At any rate..good luck and happy brewing.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
No worries

The other reason I went with the loop was to aid in fighting off channeling and leave the door open to fly sparging in the future if I so choose.
Staring at the bazooka tube in my puny 5gal MLT... channeling cannot seriously be much of an issue. The difference between a false bottom and my tube is maybe 4 inches at the worst. Now, if you have a 10,000 gallon MLT, don't use a bazooka tube! That should be obvious. Even 10, or 20 gallons, should probably be fine though. Yes, I am I now questioning the significance of channeling for such small batches as we make. But I hear what you're saying.

As I see it, any homebrewer who has their process down ought to be hitting 70%-80% efficiency. If you are utilizing conventional wisdom to eek out a couple extra percentage points of efficiency, are you also using conventional wisdom to tell you that excess efficiency results in tannins and astringency? so how far beyond 80% or so are you really trying to go?

It's great for bragging rights... and it'll maybe save you a dollar per batch. But ultimately, convenience seems like it should be a bigger motivator for us than efficiency (within reason).

Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

So far I have been using a nylon bag of gravel placed on top of a 3/16 silicone tube, although a 1/4 inch would be better. The sparge, using another equal length of 3/16 tube from the water to the tun, takes about an hour and fifteen minutes and goes well basically unattended. It can be a little fiddly (a couple of minutes) getting it there so I might order a bazooka tube at some point.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwbrennan
So far I have been using a nylon bag of gravel placed on top of a 3/16 silicone tube, although a 1/4 inch would be better. The sparge, using another equal length of 3/16 tube from the water to the tun, takes about an hour and fifteen minutes and goes well basically unattended. It can be a little fiddly (a couple of minutes) getting it there so I might order a bazooka tube at some point.
Whoa! That's really clever. Did you learn that technique while watching Gilligan's Island? LOL. Seriously, where did you pick up that technique from? It sounds interesting.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
Whoa! That's really clever. Did you learn that technique while watching Gilligan's Island? LOL. Seriously, where did you pick up that technique from? It sounds interesting.
Just one of those things that happens when you live a long way from the fast lane; unusual items are always special order and a very special price. Kinda like Gilligan's Island but as it's Canadian it's called Prince Edward Island. (Hey, it's a joke, I'm kidding, no offense to anyone local.) Actually I don't see others from this province but I think Newfoundland has representation on the site.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I use the false bottom with plastic tube. I don't use hose clamps to connect the tubing. It's got a pretty tight friction fit. Super easy to take apart.

The downside is I just have to be careful when stirring near the bottom. No problems though. Knock on wood.

Quick Reply