The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Disaster" Averted.....Please Read to Learn!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
mgortel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default "Disaster" Averted.....Please Read to Learn!

Brewing my second all grain batch today......an Oatmeal Stout.

Things were going smoothly until I measured my S.G. from my mash.....at 1.027 (for 6.71 pre boil volume)......i almost had a heart attack....I was shooting for 1.046 at 6.71 gal!!!

Then I rememnmber reading on this awesome site other situations like this.......and remembered "stratification"....my sample was taken from the top of my runoff from my mash....and I thought "hmmm...did I stir before I took my sample".

Well I stirred my wort and took another sample....and lo and behold....1.049 on SG.......so I am golden.

Thought I would post to help others out that might panic (like I did) in such a scenario....always be sure to stir gently before taking sample for SG measurment.

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
brewdoctor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for posting that. It might have been why my numbers did not make sense for an oatmeal stout I made in feb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply