New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Disappointed with dry hopping using SS ball

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Octavius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 20

Default Disappointed with dry hopping using SS ball

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEA-WARES-Tea-Lovers-/260730397708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item8 263e70a4e

Got a couple of 3" herbal tea balls - they don't rust and you may get a free sample of tea!

The first pint of dry-hopped beer was fantastic but after that zero aroma. Same with the next keg. First keg I used 1 oz of Simco dry pellets and the second keg 1 oz of Amarillo. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas? I used a couple of glass marbles to sink the ball.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Mogref
Recipes 

I picked up one of these intending to use it with pellets and I'm curious what other peoples results are with them. My only concern would be that the hops are packed too tight once the soak and aren't loose enough to get utilized effectively.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
BrewNow
Recipes 

I've used a smaller version of this 3" tea ball and unfortunately it busted open on me! Clogged the keg and took about a week to get beer out. Probably because it was 10 years old and well used.

Anyhow, how long have you have the hops sitting on the beer? Has it been at serving temperature?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Yeah, the balls will get plugged. But, I think, more importantly, the keg will need to sit at room temperature for a week to effectively extract the volatile compounds that give dry hopped beer that awesome aroma.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3864 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Those tea balls don't work for pellets- the sludge slides through. But they work great for leaf hops! One thing to remember is that the hops have to be "loose" in the ball. You don't need a marble- they sink anyway. Jamming in a whole ounce won't give a very good effect. You're better off with 1/2 ounce or so, so that the hops are in contact with the beer. I use a couple of them in a keg, if I want to hop with a whole ounce.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Octavius
Recipes 

Likes Given: 20

Wow!
Thanks for the replies!
OK, next time I'll let them soak in for a week at room temp and only use 1/2 oz and both balls, and no marbles.
I'll also expt with leaf hops but I shouldn't think you could get much weight in there.
BTW, I didn't get any sludge coming through but the hop pellets were pretty much expanded to the max.
Cheers!

Quick Reply