Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Direct Fired MLT and Bazooka Screen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
Bonch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Direct Fired MLT and Bazooka Screen

Is it possible to use a bazooka screen with a direct fired recirculating MLT. I have the option of using either a bazooka screen or a false bottom. I have used the false bottom for several batches and am considering trying the screen but am worried I may have a scorching problem if I try it.

Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

FB should give you more surface area and keep the grains away from the bottom. Why would you want to switch to the Bazooka?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FB all the way, if you heat your strike water in your MT you shouldn't need to worry about direct fire! But if you do keep the grain off the bottom like Sam said...Scorching grains doesn't make for a happy beer!

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a FB that isn't quite as big as the bottom of my pot. I direct fired for several batches and struggled with scorching.

Now I added an electric RIMS tube and no problem. With just a bazooka screen, you would really have to watch your flame, and stir a lot to avoid scorching your grain.

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
royale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
I have a FB that isn't quite as big as the bottom of my pot. I direct fired for several batches and struggled with scorching.

Now I added an electric RIMS tube and no problem. With just a bazooka screen, you would really have to watch your flame, and stir a lot to avoid scorching your grain.
When you said you direct fired, were you bringing the temp up slowly or was it a significant increase say from 145'F to 160'F? Was that when you experienced scorching? Thanks.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
curlyfat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royale

When you said you direct fired, were you bringing the temp up slowly or was it a significant increase say from 145'F to 160'F? Was that when you experienced scorching? Thanks.
I was doing step mashes, so definitely significant increases (although done gingerly).
2. Hefeweizen

Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
royale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
I was doing step mashes, so definitely significant increases (although done gingerly).
Thanks for the reply curlyfat! I am switching to AG brewing and in the market for a mash tun. I am still debating whether to get a cooler mash tun or a SS mash tun. I love the capability of direct firing on the SS but also worried about the scorching problem.

One of the solution i read was to seal the surrounding false bottom gap with a spliced silicone hose, that way no grains would fall to the bottom of the pot. How big of a gap do you have? Thanks.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
curlyfat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royale

Thanks for the reply curlyfat! I am switching to AG brewing and in the market for a mash tun. I am still debating whether to get a cooler mash tun or a SS mash tun. I love the capability of direct firing on the SS but also worried about the scorching problem.

One of the solution i read was to seal the surrounding false bottom gap with a spliced silicone hose, that way no grains would fall to the bottom of the pot. How big of a gap do you have? Thanks.
There's more than an inch all the way around the false bottom. I honestly never thought about "filling the gap". That's actually a fairly good idea!
2. Hefeweizen

Quick Reply