Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Direct fire Kettle MLT - recirculate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Gordie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default Direct fire Kettle MLT - recirculate?

Howdy y'all. I'm in the process of taking delivery of gear for my first AG rig and had a question about managing my MLT over direct heat. In my spare time, I'm designing and redesigning my rig and thinking about everything that can go wrong and basically being impatient and I'm thinking direct heat carries the significant risk of scorching and uneven mash temps.

I was mostly planning just watching the temp like a hawk and diddling with the LP regulator a bunch. However, I also thought that I could recirculate my mash by pumping it through my fly sparge.

Is this was a good idea or am I just overcomplicating a non-problem? Other than RIMS and HERMS types of setups, are there other easy ways to mitigate possible problems?

Gordie

Kevin.McGee@HealdsburgBeerCo.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie
Howdy y'all. I'm in the process of taking delivery of gear for my first AG rig and had a question about managing my MLT over direct heat. In my spare time, I'm designing and redesigning my rig and thinking about everything that can go wrong and basically being impatient and I'm thinking direct heat carries the significant risk of scorching and uneven mash temps.

I was mostly planning just watching the temp like a hawk and diddling with the LP regulator a bunch. However, I also thought that I could recirculate my mash by pumping it through my fly sparge.

Is this was a good idea or am I just overcomplicating a non-problem? Other than RIMS and HERMS types of setups, are there other easy ways to mitigate possible problems?

Gordie
If you have a false bottom that has liquid under it like the split style plates that gives me about 2 1/2" of liquid under the false bottom. That way you can do temp raises with out scorching the grain. You do want to stir the mash troughly when raising the temp to distribute the heat evenly.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can create the sam effect with a larger vessel of water under your tun, and a couple of bricks in this vessel to keep the tun off of the bottom.

Kind of a huge double boiler.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Quick Reply