Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > DIPA recipe advise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
jkaese81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DIPA recipe advise

Looking for advise on this recipe or maybe a hey it looks good, the only thing I am debating is my hop schedule right now, any suggestions. The grain bill is what it is, yes I am looking for a more sweeter DIPA. thanks!

DOUBLE IPA RECIPE 1.093/1.023 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill
14 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)
1 lb. - Munich Malt (10L)
1 lb. - Carapils
Hop Schedule (98 IBU)
2 oz - Magnum (60 min.)
1 oz - chinook (30 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (10 min.)

1 oz - Centennial whole leaf - Dry Hop in secondary
1 oz cascade -dry hop 7 days
1 oz columbus- dry hop 7 days
1 oz centennial- dry hop 7 days
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 150° to 152° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Gilbey
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even for that much grain I think that's a big dose of Magnum!! I would scale that back to 1.5 ounces or perhaps switch to something a little smoother. I would also lose the 30 minute addition and beef up additions in the last 10 minutes to get more aroma. I also like to mash a little higher with my IPA and IIPA's in an attempt to keep the FG a little higher.

YMMV

Good luck

Alan

Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
jkaese81
Recipes 

yeah I might cut that magnum down to 1.5 oz, maybe take the chinook and do that at 15 and keep the centennial at 10. But how dose the dry hop schedule look?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
flananuts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question you have to ask yourself with your DIPA is are you looking for a bitter forward or hop floral finish? I brewed up an IIPA based on the tits up IIPA and I kept the majority of my ibu's for the final 30 minutes on a 90 minute brew. If you're interested, here's the link to the recipe. http://hopville.com/recipe/996934/im...d-nipples-iipa

It came out with a similar profile to Long Trail brewmaster DIPA. I also took the same recipe minus the dry hop and upped it to 15 gallons for an IPA. I like the IPA better.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
WhenInMinnesota
Recipes 

Instead of the Chinook addition at 30 min, you could bumb that to a First Wort Hop. That would get you some nice hop aroma and flavor. The general consensus (that I've seen at least) is that any addition after 60 and before 20 is kind of a waste of hops.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cut the crystal down to 3% or less, add some sugar to dry that sucker out.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally, I would mash a little higher. I like my DIPA's to be bigger like Maharaja. I would probably move the Chinook to 20 mins; I think 30 min additions just don't offer enough flavor. Also, not sure about the dry hop schedule. You have 1 oz Centennial listed twice but have the first as a secondary dry hop and the others as a dry hop. It sort of suggests you are gonna dry hop the other 3 oz additions furring primary which I would hope is not the case. If all 4 oz go in the secondary, I think 2 oz of Cemtennial is really gonna mask the other hops. I would do 2 oz Cascade, as I find it's aroma relatively light, and 1 oz of the other additions each.

Also, from reading everyone's comments I feel like everyone likes different things in there DIPA's

Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would keep the 150F mash but bump it up to 90 minutes. You are gonna get plenty of sweetness from the C40 and need to make sure you get complete conversion of the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenInMinnesota
Instead of the Chinook addition at 30 min, you could bumb that to a First Wort Hop. That would get you some nice hop aroma and flavor. The general consensus (that I've seen at least) is that any addition after 60 and before 20 is kind of a waste of hops.
FWH for flavor and aroma? It's gonna get boiled off you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfish42
Cut the crystal down to 3% or less, add some sugar to dry that sucker out.
He wants sweeter. I would half the crystal and drop the Munich but that isn't what he's going for.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Woops, ignore my advice about dropping the crystal, that's what I get for speed reading.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfish42
Woops, ignore my advice about dropping the crystal, that's what I get for speed reading.
Don't feel bad. I missed that whole first bit the first time through. I skipped straight to the recipe and came to the same conclusion as you before reading back through.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Quick Reply