Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > DIPA Dreadnaught... question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
huhwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dreadnaught

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I wimped out and mashed at 156. I just think 159 in conjunction with the ESB yeast strain could easily lead to a overly sweet beer if the yeast doesn't attentuate to its fullest potential.
I'll do 159. Maybe when mine is done we can meet halfway, swap beers and see how they are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

we can let a few bottle age.. I usually tailgate a few weekends in cbus!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So....how did this one turn out?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
huhwha
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Mine is in the keg carbing now. It should be ready for a serious taste this weekend. The tastings so far seem to back up what you would expect from a 160* mash; sweet and a bit chewy. It's been a while since I've had the real deal, but I think it's close. Maybe I can work a trade out, as finding Dreadnaught in central Ohio is not an easy task.

For what it's worth, I took a small amount (3 bottles worth) and threw it on some Jack Daniels chips. Completely un-scientific, but preliminary results are excellent! This should also be ready for a tasting this weekend. I have high hopes!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #15
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mine turned out pretty solid. It has a nice body from mashing a bit high @ 156. I wish I would have went back and not used the ESB yeast. Just not a fan of the particular yeast as this is my second brew with this strain.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #16
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Dreadnaught is one of my top 3 IIPA's. I've brewed 2 batches of a recipe I formulated that was VERY similar to this.
The only differences were that I:
- used equal amounts of Melonoidin and Crystal 10L (about 4-5% of the total grain bill each)
- mashed at 156F
- and my hops were much different (Warrior, Columbus, Citra (BK & DH), Cascade (BK & DH), to the tune of 166 IBU )
- used WLP007 with a starter

I calculated 8.7%ABV, but I think it was a bit higher than that. It was on the sweet side, which I actually really liked, but I may try a lower mash temp next time, and maybe some sugar to dry it out more and see how it compares.
The SRM was probably around 7-9 I think, aroma was awesome, the mouth feel had a really nice body, and the taste was amazing. This brew is a few of my friends favorite IIPA, and mine as well.

I A/B'd this with Dreadnaught, and it was very close. Dreadnaught won on Appearance and Taste (barely), but this brew won on Aroma, and Mouthfeel.

Quick Reply