Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dip tube needed with stainless steel braid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
atromic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dip tube needed with stainless steel braid?

I'm going to be building a 3gal mash tun this weekend to start doing some big partial mashes in my apartment and I was wondering if a dip tube was necessary.

None of the threads I've seen have one in the design... Will the braid pull the wort off of the bottom without a tube?

Pear Wine, Apfelwein, White Grape + Peach Wine

Bottle'd :
Ed's Robust Porter, This is my Haus Ale, Gone in 60 Seconds IPA, Hooked on ESB, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I don't use a diptube... You'll leave a little wort in the dead space. Of course, I just tip the cooler to get the last bit of goodness out.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
atromic
Recipes 

Thanks. I guess the little bit of sugars left in the dead space is pretty negligible after 2 batch sparges?

Pear Wine, Apfelwein, White Grape + Peach Wine

Bottle'd :
Ed's Robust Porter, This is my Haus Ale, Gone in 60 Seconds IPA, Hooked on ESB, Apfelwein

Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Right. If your braid is stiff, then you don't need a tube in it. If it's easily crushed flat, you'll get better flow with something to prop it open. Doesn't need to be attached or even a tube, a couple pieces of wire would do.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It certainly wouldn't hurt to use some copper fittings to get the braid to clamp on near the bottom but as the others have said, you can tilt the cooler towards the bulkhead to get most of the wort out. Deadspace does impact efficiency, but in a partial mash it's not all that critical.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply