Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Diluting wort during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
kanzimonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm curious about your original question, though - I don't see a problem with adding water while the beer is still fermenting. We often talk about how yeast consume or bubble away all the oxygen in the wort during fermentation. So long as those yeast are active, won't they get rid of any oxygen you introduce through added water? And as people are saying, you could boil and cool some water, so the only extra oxygen introduced will be from the splashing during pouring.

Also, I know we don't like to rapidly and dramatically change our yeasts' environment, but adding a quart of water is hardly altering it, and with a slightly more diluted sugar concentration, the alcohol concentration will be lower, which is something else yeast appreciate.

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
peilhauer
Recipes 

What about adding wort after the initial wort starts fermenting? Same pitfalls as adding water or much more problematic?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Less pitfalls as adding water, as you aren't shrinking your gravity or the body. The blending techinique only works with certain styles, and those are usually lighter in gravity. For other styles that aren't wanted as light, one should try adding spiese or gyle (unfermented wort). Here's a good thread about adding fermenting wort (krausening) to a finished beer.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #14
peilhauer
Recipes 

Thanks. I undershot my OG so I panicked and added some additional wort to try to up the grav. Wasn't sure if I'd done something critically bad.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm kind of in a similar boat, but...
what if you racked boiled water into the secondary fermenter BEFORE transferring the beer to reduce splashing? I came out with about 4 gal for a 5.5 gal batch, and i'm worried about my fg being too high

Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdopchibrew View Post
I'm kind of in a similar boat, but...
what if you racked boiled water into the secondary fermenter BEFORE transferring the beer to reduce splashing? I came out with about 4 gal for a 5.5 gal batch, and i'm worried about my fg being too high
What was your OG? Take your OG readings in the kettle, after cooling if you do full boils. That is the best time to adjust gravity because you still have all options available.

You are pretty safe doing the water addition method if you are extract brewing because the recipes numbers are designed around the specified ending volume and the extract used....you can't be off because your "conversion efficiency" is guaranteed by using extract.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
What was your OG? Take your OG readings in the kettle, after cooling if you do full boils. That is the best time to adjust gravity because you still have all options available.

You are pretty safe doing the water addition method if you are extract brewing because the recipes numbers are designed around the specified ending volume and the extract used....you can't be off because your "conversion efficiency" is guaranteed by using extract.
I was doing ag, I got a little fuzzy near the end and added the wort to my carboy without taking a gravity reading first I thought I had the correct amount of wort in the brewpot, but i ended up having about an inch and a half of hops in the bottom of my pot, leaving me with way less than i expected in the fermenter. I'm clearly still learning....

Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdopchibrew View Post
I was doing ag, I got a little fuzzy near the end and added the wort to my carboy without taking a gravity reading first I thought I had the correct amount of wort in the brewpot, but i ended up having about an inch and a half of hops in the bottom of my pot, leaving me with way less than i expected in the fermenter. I'm clearly still learning....
Ah, got it. Most of my brewing uses 1.5-3 ounces of hops in the boil so I use pellets in a fine mesh bag. I have found that my hot break trub is very predictable. I'm not an IPA or IIPA guy having a kettle full of hops is not something I have had to deal with. You might consider making a hop spider, they work very well and can hold a lot od hops including whole cone.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Ah, got it. Most of my brewing uses 1.5-3 ounces of hops in the boil so I use pellets in a fine mesh bag. I have found that my hot break trub is very predictable. I'm not an IPA or IIPA guy having a kettle full of hops is not something I have had to deal with. You might consider making a hop spider, they work very well and can hold a lot od hops including whole cone.
yeah... citra ipa with 5oz of pellets definitely sucks up a fair amount of wort. Would I be able to take a gravity reading before transferring and discern wether or not it's worth adding slightly more water?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my target og was .063 or so...

Quick Reply