Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Digital thermometer needed for mashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Analog thermometers are useless (for me). I can't read the temperature accurately without my reading glasses, and I can't see anything with my reading glasses fogged up, like they are when holding the thermometer in a kettle of hot water.

I've always had good luck with digital thermometers except when the battery is dying.

-a.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
DaMoGan
Recipes 

I like the idea of a digital thermometer with a remote probe. I bought one from Home Depot that worked ok... for a day. Deciding I didn't want to deal with cheap stuff, I bought this one instead:

Traceable Mini Thermometer - Home Beer Brewing - Mfg# 4039

Certified to be within +-1 degree Celsius over the temperature band of interest, and it even comes with a certificate to show the actual error! (Mine reads -0.5C below true temps). A little pricier than a regular thermomenter, but it works well. Just don't put it in the oven! (I put the probe in there for a few minutes, to see how accurate my oven was, and the plastic sheath started wrinkling up! Fortunately the thermometer still works fine). They sell another model that is certified to be within +-0.2C (I believe) but that is more expensive, and just overkill IMHO.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
antsp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually that is a pretty good price for a thermometer with a NIST cert.

Ant

Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
DaMoGan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsp1 View Post
Actually that is a pretty good price for a thermometer with a NIST cert.

Ant
I see what you mean, at least it is a lot cheaper than this fella! Thermometers - NIST Traceable® Digital Thermometer - Control Company Model 4000
(Hmmm, how much better beer could I brew if I had accuracy up to +-0.05C? )

I see you are from Bay City. I grew up there!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
I have one of both that read the same so the one that gets grabbed is the one that gets used.
I had 2 dial thermometers that both read exactly the same and BOTH were off by 7-8 degrees after checking them against a new lab thermo and a new digital.Boy, was my face red!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMoGan View Post
I like the idea of a digital thermometer with a remote probe. I bought one from Home Depot that worked ok... for a day. Deciding I didn't want to deal with cheap stuff, I bought this one instead:

Traceable Mini Thermometer - Home Beer Brewing - Mfg# 4039

Certified to be within +-1 degree Celsius over the temperature band of interest, and it even comes with a certificate to show the actual error! (Mine reads -0.5C below true temps). A little pricier than a regular thermomenter, but it works well. Just don't put it in the oven! (I put the probe in there for a few minutes, to see how accurate my oven was, and the plastic sheath started wrinkling up! Fortunately the thermometer still works fine). They sell another model that is certified to be within +-0.2C (I believe) but that is more expensive, and just overkill IMHO.
Seen this thread?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/warn...nt-com-104638/

Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Be aware...I've had thermometers that read right at boiling and/or freezing temps, but were off at mash temp. Since I don't mash at either boiling or freezing temps, I got a certified calibration thermometer and use it to calibrate my brewing thermometer at 150 (approximate mash temp range).

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply