Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Did my first all grain on Sunday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBrew View Post
Zappap??
Charlie Papazian made this type of MLT famous in his book. He called it the "Zapap", which is part of his last name backwards.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

yep, one bucket with tons of tiny holes drilled in it, nested into another in-tact bucket. Lauter-tun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBrew View Post
I've made extract and always get excited. Try to have patience to sit in fermenter a while before bottling. Then wait over a week to bottle condition. Problem is.... last batch. I bottled after 10 days. 3 days after bottling, tried it. Delicious. Problem was, it was about 3 weeks later and down to last bottle. It was the best. So trying my patience this time around.
Stop fussing and get the next beer in the fermenter. There's only 1 solution for anticipation; P-I-P-E-L-I-N-E. Congrats. Just wait until you start making adjustment recommendations to commercial brews. I had a draft the other day at a restaurant, and thought " that really needs some chocolate malt" It was a little brewery in Ireland that goes by the name Guiness. Heard of it? They MAY have made a few more batches than I

Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
tre9er
Recipes 

Honestly after having a few quality stouts I don't fancy Guiness that much at all nowadays.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #15
StusBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I've felt the same way. I have a buddy who's more adventurous than my other buddies when it comes to beers. He loves Guiness. I've had it a time or two and think more chocolate as well. I've had better stouts. In fact I meant to give him a bottle or two of my stout but ran out. HA.
My problem now is my Wits been in carboy for 16 days. Was planning on bottling tonight. But putting it off. NOT looking forward to it. If I had one of those bottle trees, I might look forward to it more. Pretty much it's soak in 1 Step for a minute or so (I can fit 13 -14 bottles in a 6.5 gallon bucket with 5 gallons of 1 Step), take out of solution and drain bottle a little. Fill it. Put a cap on it. Get 18 - 20 bottles done. Cap them. Do 18 -20 more. Cap. Then finish. So waiting until Saturday now. Tomorrow and Thursday aren't good. Though maybe Friday. Almost 21 days in fermenter.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
tre9er
Recipes 

When I bottle I do this:

First, I make sure bottles are clean...but I know they are because I rinse them vigorously after I pour from them. I do the cleaning well in advance of bottling. I put them in 6-packs or 12-packs and carefully turn those upside down on a towel on top of a counter or stove. I let them dry for a few days.

On bottling-day I simply grab enough clean bottles, fill a bucket with sanitizer and set it under the bottling wand. I take a bottle, dunk it in sanitizer and swish around, then empty it, fill it with new beer, and set it on the counter. The bucket of sanitizer also catches any drips or overfill.

I put as many up on the counter as I can before stopping to cap. I cap and put each bottle back in a 6-pack or 12-pack. Usually can do a 5-gallon batch in two "runs" of fill-cap.

Quote:

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
StusBrew
Recipes 

Well kids are begging to "help" bottle. So.....Maybe I can get them to hold 3-4 bottles upside down after coming out of sanitizer.
I have a problem. I do the thorough rinsing of my bottles. But then when buying commercial beers to taste and try. I think to mysef to keep a couple of bottles because I always end up short because of sharing my homebrew. I end up rinsing those guys out too. I then go downstairs and all my empty holes are filled. That's not the problem. I find myself rinsing bottles out!!! Oh well.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

De-labeling is my least favorite part, especially with some brands and the glue they use. New Belgium, Abita, Empyrean all come off relatively easy. Sierra Nevada requires some scrubbing and there's one brand I can't think of that the labels seem to require a side-grinder to remove...and yes I'm soaking in oxyclean or PBW for sometimes days on end.

Quote:

Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #19
StusBrew
Recipes 

I haven't tried de-labeling yet. Luckily, my buddies are pretty good about returning the bottles to me.
Looking forward to it though. I've been coming home after work every day ready to bottle. But then I think: Do I really want to do this now???!?!?! I got to get my kid doing his homework. Some house chores, daily life really. So I calm myself down and think 20 days is fine in fermenter. relax, no hurry. I think the only thing to make it better would be if I could brew something after I bottled on Saturday. Oh well. Gives me time to get a measuring stick for my brew kettle and maybe work on a Venturi thing. Just to play and try it out. See what I think of it!!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #20
StusBrew
Recipes 

Bottled the Wit. Took 3 readings. 1 of the readings as I was transferring to bottling bucket. The other 2 over the 20 days in carboy. Gravity reading hasn't changed. Got 48 bottles of 12 oz. Perfect. Had a little left of course. Poured a glass. Put in fridge. Get another taste test later. (Tastes good!!) Now if can get act together I can get stuff together to make a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. Though am wondering about maybe making a Belgian Golden Ale. Could take till end of summer to mature and stuff. Kind of want it around July/August. I think if brew an 8 - 9% brew, might take longer than I want it too.

Quick Reply