Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Did I make jello in my wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
johnoswald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Did I make jello in my wort?

I brewed up a new one yesterday:
9 lbs American 2 row (Muntons) and 1/2 lbs chocolate (Muntons),
mashed (very thick) at 128°F for 30 min,
raised to 152°F with 180°F infusion and held 1 hr.
Started the run off using my newly fabbed 18" stainless steel braided sheath - worked great!
After clearing, I started collecting in my wort kettle and began to heat it up to prepare for the boil down (while sparging continued). After ~5 gal run off, I turned up the heat to get it boiling but noticed floating blobs in the wort. I scooped these floater out and they looked like jello, but brown like Thanksgiving gravy when it cools down.
What was this stuff?
I have been doing a protien rest on previous batches with this malt, but skipped it on this batch to increase the head retention and body. Was the jello coagulated protien?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoswald
...mashed (very thick) at 128°F for 30 min...
...I have been doing a protien rest on previous batches with this malt, but skipped it on this batch...
Looks like you did do a protein rest? In any case, I would guess that the blobs were indeed protein/break material.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply