Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dextrose - Source of infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Snotpoodle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dextrose - Source of infection?

Hi,

3 batches in a row have become gushers. First 2 weeks they taste great, great carbonation, all the right flavours etc etc.

As it his around 14 - 18 days, all three batches started turning a little sour, almost dry, flavour disappears and the carbonation / gushing goes through the roof.

I guess I picked up a wild yeast / gusher bug, but my question is:

I have a 2.5lb bag of dextrose that I was using for priming. It's the only common denominator in all three batches besides the bottling wand, which i bleached, washed and sanitised before bottling all three batches. Could the wild yeast bug be living in the dextrose bag (its not 100% sealed, so my guess is that this could be the problem), since I primed all three batched with this sugar, could this be the bugs home, or should i go all the way back to fermentation, and get rid of all my buckets etc.

Losing 3 batches in a row is just too much now, and it all happens around 14 - 18 days.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
thisone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've heard that pure sugar isn't too dangerous. I haven't had any problems adding it to cider without boiling it with water, but I haven't done it much. And I haven't done it once with beer (nor do I plan to)

Do you boil your priming sugar with water before adding it to the bottling bucket (along with the beer)? This should kill anything harmful in the sugar (if there is anything), but it should also remove oxygen and make it easier to mix with the beer

Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Snotpoodle
Recipes 

Nope, I was popping it straight in with a measuring tool, one bottle at a time, then capping.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bingo, boil first. Then add it in bulk to the batch. No chance of infection if you boil it first.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I would boil the sugar in 1-2 cups pf water for 15 minutes and add to your bottling buckwt, rack your beer onto the syrup. This will ensure your sugar is sanitized and give you more consistent carbonation results.

How much sugar are you using? Google around to find a carbonation calculator to hit your desired carb level based on style.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Snotpoodle
Recipes 

The amount was fine, i used the mrmalty carb calculator.

The question really is: Can a gusher bug live on pure dextrose, since it wasn't sealed properly, and is about 2/3 months old.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I guess it's possible. Boiling will tell you. I'm leaning towards your racking cane or tubing being the culprit.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It wont live on eating the dextrose but it will attach itself to it. Just like anything else. I would rather be safe than sorry in any case. Good reccommendation by waldoar though, replace your racking tube and cane, then check that off the list of possible culprits.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 08-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3728 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 3229

Your bug was probably there from fermentation. Just intuition here. Let your next beer sit in the fermenter for an additional 3 weeks and see what happens (hard to wait, I know).

Although I agree with the others, you should be boiling your priming sugars.

How are you sanitizing your bottles?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
Snotpoodle
Recipes 

I have a Belgian Golden Strong that has been in the fermenter for almost 2 months, tasted it today, and its fine.

This leads me to believe the bug is being introduced at bottling, either the dextrose, or the caps (which I didn't boil again apparently).

I am going to Oxy everything again, bleach, and caustic everything, chuck the dextrose, and perhaps get a new bottling wand and a new packet of caps.

Hopefully this will sort out the problem.

Quick Reply