Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Determining Grain Bill: extract eff vs. grain yield

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
gjmonty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Determining Grain Bill: extract eff vs. grain yield

I want to make sure I understand this correctly, as I'm a beginner with no AG brews under by belt yet.

From sources such as the Malts Chart on the wiki,

Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki

I can obtain a max potential extract for various grains. I had not run across the % yield numbers before. I looked it up in Palmer and think I get it, but need some clarification.

In calculating the points contributed by a particular grain, I need to apply the % yield number in the referenced chart to the potential extract, and then apply my extract efficiency, based on my setup, on top of that, correct?

Example: Pale 2 row, UK
1.036 potential * 77.9 % yield * 75% extraction efficiency = 21.1 ppg to wort

I've also seen calcs using only the extraction efficiency, which makes me wonder whether the % yield numbers are estimated extraction efficiencies adjusted for particular grain characteristics.

Hopefully, I've made my question clear. Thanks a lot for any help any one can offer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply