Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Delayed boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
thejerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Delayed boil

Any thoughts on the effects of an increase in time between the mash and the boil? I'll be transferring wort in a sealed bucket back to my own place and it could potentially be a few hours between mashout and the actual boil back home. Potentially lacto, etc, could start souring the wort before I get it boiling, I suppose. Or what should I do to maximize my chances in this less than ideal situation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejerk View Post
Any thoughts on the effects of an increase in time between the mash and the boil? I'll be transferring wort in a sealed bucket back to my own place and it could potentially be a few hours between mashout and the actual boil back home. Potentially lacto, etc, could start souring the wort before I get it boiling, I suppose. Or what should I do to maximize my chances in this less than ideal situation?
Before the boil? The boil should kill anything that'd spoil it. Just try not to move it around too much so you avoid any hot-side aeartion.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think I know what you mean now. Sour beer? I would think two hours is far too little time for this to happen, but maybe someone who makes sours can chime in.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

HSA is one of those "brewing bogeymen" that really doesn't esixt for the homebrewer. Besides the act of boiling is going to remove any oxygen that could have been produced by the sloshing.

Think these guys are worried about HSA???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Why can't you keep the wort in the mash tun till boil time? No mashout or sparge? Some folks have done overnight mashes in coolers and if the temp is kept high enough you stay out of the souring range hopefully.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

When I partigyle, I have to delay my boil on the second beer because I can only boil one beer at a time. And when I partigyle, the first beer is usually a big one, so there's a 90 minute boil between sparge & boil of the small beer. I've never had a problem with souring in that timeframe. Most lacto/souring problems are supposed to take place around 110F, so I suspect as long as your wort stays above this or is at this for only a short time, you should be fine.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
thejerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The situation is this: a local brewer is letting me take a bucketful of second runnings off of an experimental impy stout (Hey, free high gravity, quality brew that I can tweak with adjuncts, hops, and yeast!). I'm afraid that by the time I collect these runnings and make it home, I won't have time to finish a boil, cool, transfer and pitch before I have to be in my o-chem lab, which typically runs about four hours.
Would I want to try to keep the wort above 110 F during that time? Or just not worry about it and do what I can do. I figure other than hops, which I'm just using leftovers from previous batches, and a vial of yeast, this beer is costing me nothing but carboy space anyway.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I bet it'll be just fine. Even if it started to sour, any souring that it does will be so little that I suspect you'd not notice, especially with a big, robust imperial stout.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Rather than a bucketful, can you get a cooler full instead? That way you will have some insulation to keep it warm.

Honestly I don't know what will happen. You more than likely will be perfectly fine if you get just a bucket, even if the temps drop below 110....stuff like this is all going to be conjecture. Very few people have done something like this, so there's no way to know the outcome....The one thing we do know is you are boiling after, which will kill off anything that might grow during the time between. We also know that no known pathogens can grow in beer, so no matter what happens no one will die...So there's a lot of leeway in there.

You have a great opportunity, so jump on it...If you can keep the wort somewhat warm such as in an insulated cooler that will be preferable. If not and all you can do is bring it home in a sealed bucket, that more than likely be fine as well....

All you can do is try, and to keep us posted.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
thejerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Rather than a bucketful, can you get a cooler full instead? That way you will have some insulation to keep it warm.
AWESOME idea. I'll just take down my cooler MLT and fill that...I can get a little more wort for a slightly bigger batch this way too.
I know the boil will kill anything, just didn't want to chance introducing sourness if I didn't have to during that time span. And yes, I've tasted bad sourness in heavy RIS's before (well-regarded commercial examples, probably from beasties introduced during barrel aging, however).

Quick Reply