Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction vs. Infusion Mash with Wheat Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
gallagherman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Decoction vs. Infusion Mash with Wheat Beers

I am planning on doing an AG dunkelweizen soon. I have only one AG under my belt and it was a APA. I have read, as in Ray Daniels' book Designing Great Beers, that most hefeweizens are produced commercially and by many homebrewers by decoction mashing. I do not feel comfortable yet pulling a decoction. I plan on just doing a single infusion with this weißbier. How many of you guys use this method with wheat and what is it mainly that suffers from cutting corners? I guess I don't see the advantage of decoction mashing (even after watching Kaiser's great video on the process! haha)

Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

Last edited by gallagherman; 04-01-2008 at 12:21 AM.
kds1398 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
bluelou6
Recipes 

I really like the flavor that a decoction mash gives to my beers. I just don't think it is worth the extra time. I do highly recommend that you try it at least once. Just make sure you have plenty of time.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have read studies that indicate that there is not a significant enough flavor benefit from decoction for brewing Hefeweizens. I'll have to do a side-by side to see for myself though.

Kai

Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I've ready the same. Also, the protein rest also helps with head retention and body, while the traditional two sacc rests help prevent the beer from getting too thin. A three step infusion mash gets a bit out of hand because of all the water you need to add, so a decoction is a much better way to raise the temperature if you do not have a direct-fired mash tun.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
peterfuse

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i say single infusion if you're not up to a decoction. i did a decoction on a wheat beer before and i can't say it helped the beer much and took a looong time.

is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Quick Reply