Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Bru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Decoction questions

For my next bohemian pilsner Im considering a triple decoction. I'll use Weyermans Pilsner Malt (no other grains).
Considering this malt is well modified is a decoction recommended ? Im concerned it will affect head retention.
Traditionally decoctions involve removing a portion of the mash, boiling it and returning it to the MLT. I have a RIMS. Can I decoct simply by increasing temps as required or does the decoction need to boil ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You would need to boil the mash for it to be concidered decoction, otherwise you're just doing a step mash. I don't think decoctions are really needed with most of the malts today. But, if you're doing a style that is traditionally decocted, then you should include it to keep with style guidelines. It does add a flavor that can't really be matched in my opinion. The closest you can get (in my experience) is by adding 20L crystal and not doing the decoction.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply