The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction on PM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Decoction on PM

On a whim I took 2 cups of grain or so from the Marzen I was brewing and sizzled it in a skillet, stirring frequently until it was considerably darker but not burnt. I placed this in my strainer before dumping my wort and the rest of the grains on top of them, vorlaufing several times.

Does this count as a decoction? I am certain that it will add some flavor and it smells great so far. I had just never seen this addressed.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's what's known in more technical circles as a "kinda-sorta-half-assed-decoction".

Decoction mashing involves completing the conversion of the to-be-decocted portion prior to bringing it to boiling. If you didn't do that, you may have hurt your efficiency. 2 cups of wort "sizzled" for awhile? Yeah, you might have actually created a sufficient amount of melanoidins to affect the flavor. Let us know how it turns out.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Will do! It definitely turned a lot darker, and the smell was much more "roasted".

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",

Old 01-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

2 cups will not really arm the efficiency but it's not real decoction.

A real decoction is where you use the boiled portion to increase the temperature of the the whole mash.

Nice experiment though.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I agree on both counts. It's not a decoction, but it's one hell of an idea. I may have to try that out sometime.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I knew it wasn't a "by the book" decoction, but I thought that it might get pretty much the same result. Unfortunately it is an early brewed Marzen, so It will age for a long time beforeI get to try it. I should remember to post the findings though.
Heck, I will probably try it again on a quicker brew!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh holy crap. I cracked 2 last night.....(no it's not september!!!I had to test the carbing at this point didn't I????)

It is so frigging delicious. I added a lb of 80L crystal to the original recipe and man!

The "toastyness" from the quasi decoction comes through nicely, I can say that it made a difference. The caramel comes through nicely too.

I set aside a sixer to test for oxidation once a month.

The rest went into the lagerator.... and by lagerator, I of course mean a cooler in my garage.

*sniff sniff* if something goes wrong with these I will be soooo pissed.

Quick Reply