Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Cos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Decoction partial mash

I do a partial mash with 6 lb of grain supplemented with 3 lb of dme.
I am considering doing a decoction and wondering if it would make a noticable difference with a partial mash The instructions I have say to pull 40% of the grain for the decoction.

Do you think it'll be worth the extra effort? I' making an octoberfest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm sure Kaiser will chime in with a more informed opinion, but if it were me I'm not sure I'd bother with it for such a small quantity of grain. On the other hand I find decoction mashing fun so I might be inclined to do it just for that reason.

In terms of flavour though I don't think you'll notice any difference.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm, if you really want to do it (heck, why not?) you could pull all of the grain leaving just the thin mash. Since you'd be pulling "too much", you'd need to cool a lot of it before returning it to the main mash. But it seems like it would work, and that way you would get the melanoidins you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowe View Post
Hmm, if you really want to do it (heck, why not?) you could pull all of the grain leaving just the thin mash. Since you'd be pulling "too much", you'd need to cool a lot of it before returning it to the main mash. But it seems like it would work, and that way you would get the melanoidins you are looking for.
Ya that would work but you'd still need some of the thin mash so you can convert the grains in the 'mini rest' during the decoction. Either way it would be a fun exercise though!

If you haven't seen it yet Cos, check out Kaiser's decoction video thread. It's a fantastic resource!

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply