Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #71
TeleTwanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

that protein sludge on top of the mash is freakin' crazy! I love the chalk/iodine test, what a great idea.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #72
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
This is the "workhorse" mash in German brewing today:

dough-in above 57C or directly at 62-63C
63C for 30 - 40 min (maltose rest)
(65 C for ~30 min if very high fermentability is desired)
68-72C for 20 - 60 min (dextrinization rest)
76-78C - mash-out.

The whole mash takes 90 - 120 min.

Kai
Thanks for that. In your experience, what is a typical water:grain ratio for a German brewery in a Pilsner or Helles?... and does it increase with the steps in the mash schedule?

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #73
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Thanks for that. In your experience, what is a typical water:grain ratio for a German brewery in a Pilsner or Helles?... and does it increase with the steps in the mash schedule?
4-5 l/kg (2-2.5 qt/lb) and it doesn't change during mashing as direct heat is used to move between the rests.

Kai

Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #74
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Quote:
4-5 l/kg (2-2.5 qt/lb) and it doesn't change during mashing as direct heat is used to move between the rests.

Kai
Wow, that seems like a lot compared to what most homebrewers do, even when we do lagers. Is this common throughout German brewing, or do some regions/styles use a lower water:grain ratio?... like Alts or Bocks, for example.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #75
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Wow, that seems like a lot compared to what most homebrewers do, even when we do lagers. Is this common throughout German brewing, or do some regions/styles use a lower water:grain ratio?... like Alts or Bocks, for example.
Yes this is a common ratio for lighter beers. The lower amount of sparge water will also reduce the amount of tannins extracted during sparge. For dark beers the mash tickness may be as low as 3 - 3.5 l/kg (1.5 to 1.75 l/kg) but not thicker as they become difficult to pump and stir.

The latter is the main historical reson for thin mashes in German brewing. B/c of decoction, German brewhouses had to be able to pump the mash as opposed to British brewhouses which mashed and lautered in the same vessel.

Early American home brewing adopted that Britsh style of brewing as it is ideal for the approach of having a single unheated vessel for mashing and lautering. Then craftbrewers adoped this b/c it is easy to build and it is what they did as home brewers. And home brewers keep doing it (the thick mashes I mean) b/c craft brewers do it and many home brewing texts say that the ideal mash thickness is around 1.25 qt/lb.

I gave been saying for a while that, at least for German beers, you should get away from this one-mash-fits all approach that Jamil and Co. are teaching. A thin mash, up to 4.5 l/kg as long as it fits in your MLT and works for the size of beer your are making, may work much better. They are more easy to stir and may even improve efficiency if your efficiency is limited by conversion efficienct (i.e. the % of starch that is converted).

Kai

Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #76
menschmaschine
Recipes 

That's great info. Danke, Kai.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #77
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I gave been saying for a while that, at least for German beers, you should get away from this one-mash-fits all approach that Jamil and Co. are teaching. A thin mash, up to 4.5 l/kg as long as it fits in your MLT and works for the size of beer your are making, may work much better.
I see one drawback: thin masch will produce less fermentable wort. I will be a problem in German Pils, which should be really dry.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #78
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
I see one drawback: thin masch will produce less fermentable wort. I will be a problem in German Pils, which should be really dry.
Not in my experience. I get about 80-83% attenuation potential in my Pilsner mashes and could get more if I wanted to. In addition to that, in mash experiments I have not seen an attenuation difference between thick and thin mashes. A Pils should be mashed at 2 qt/lb or slightly above if you can.

Kai

Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #79
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Actually, I understand the opposite to be true. (Not necessarily from experience, but from text.) A thick mash is supposed to produce the best overall extraction, but a thin mash favors maltose, and therefore attenuation.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #80
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
A thick mash is supposed to produce the best overall extraction, but a thin mash favors maltose, and therefore attenuation.
I heard different explanation - in thick mash b-amylase survives longer, so it can longer do the starch-cutting job.
This can be essential, my german pils I mashed 2.5 hours in 62-63*C, and didn't get full convertion, until I elevated temp to 68*C.

Quick Reply