Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #41
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just for the heck of it yesterday I did a double decoction mash on my nut brown ale. I did a MUCH thicker decoction than I had any previous time and what do you know - I nailed my saccharification temperature perfectly! With all that extra grain in the decoction I also had a couple apartments around me come out and ask me what that amazing smell was.

Thanks Kaiser!

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #42
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you tell them you were making magical marsh-mellow flavored rainbows and they couldn't come in to see? LOL, I tried a triple on my last ale, wow, very fragrant. I loved it, but I do wish I had a fume hood as the house smelled like it for two days. A double is probably all I will ever do again, but it was an experience.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 04-20-2008, 03:32 AM   #43
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

Excellent videos, Kaiser. I saw this thread a few weeks ago, but was unable to view the videos. I'm glad that someone posted in this thread again and I was able to check it.

Great work as always - it has been added to my favorites.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #44
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by instereo13
One question: why do you do your iodine test on chalk?
I find it easier to read, and it's not as messy as using a small dish. If you don't have chalk at hand, don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
Thanks Kaiser!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #45
henrychinaski
Recipes 

sweet video. i had done a single decoction about 2 years ago just to see what it was like and add some body to a porter, but after getting a refrigerator on craig's list for $40 bucks, i decided it was time to try the real thing.
gregory j. noonan's book brewing lager beer left me feeling adequately prepared, but the visual experience really drove it home for me. as a matter of fact, it made me so confident that i decided to jump in feet first and do two in one day. i was at it from 9am to 12:30am last night.
it was tough getting up for work this morning, but i forgot about it when i came home to a bohemian pilsner and a 100% munich southern german lager (octoberfest?) happily bubbling away at 52 deg. f.
i'm finally lagering!
thanks again.
by the way, your accent's fine.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #46
Kaiser

Recipes 

Glad you liked it and welcome to the forum.

Kai

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #47
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Now there is a trooper, two in one day. Man!!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 04-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #48
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just picked up two upright freezers that can hold 6.5/7 gallon carboys one atop the other, or two buckets, or two 5gal carboys.

As soon as I can afford the dual stage controllers (it's in an uninsulated garage, so need it both ways, already have heat sources), I'll have lagering capability.

I can't wait to test it out this summer.

So, If I may ask, if you are using a system like a Brutus Ten type, or B3 sculpture, would it work to replace the normal boil kettle with another pot, and use that burner and pot for the decoction boils? You could then use the pumped temp-control for your mash tun and have one less thing to worry about. Except maybe that you'd return less of the hot decoction to raise temps (then adjust controller on mash sensor) and let more cool in the decoction kettle to return when it cools to the proper rest temp for that return. Does that make sense?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #49
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
So, If I may ask, if you are using a system like a Brutus Ten type, or B3 sculpture, would it work to replace the normal boil kettle with another pot, and use that burner and pot for the decoction boils? You could then use the pumped temp-control for your mash tun and have one less thing to worry about. Except maybe that you'd return less of the hot decoction to raise temps (then adjust controller on mash sensor) and let more cool in the decoction kettle to return when it cools to the proper rest temp for that return. Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. You could also boil the decoction in the boil kettle, but it might be more awkward.

What does NOT work is running the liquid part (though the false bottom) into the boil kettle or a cooler, boiling what remains in the MLT and then returning the liquid path to the MLT. This will kill most (if not all) of the enzymes since you are lowering the temp of the decoction with the enzyme rich thin mash that you kept on the side as opposed to raising the temp of the enzyme rich mash with the decoction. You would have to scoop the decoction into the thin mash first to be able to use the fact that you can easily separate thin from thick with the false bottom.

Kai

Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #50
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Kai, So when a large German brewery does a mash in modern times and wants to make traditional Maibock with a decocted taste then what mash procedure do they use with the huge volumes of grain that they mash? It seems to me that it has to be a hands off type of mash.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply