The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #151
drkaeppel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbert_Brewer View Post
I think these videos may have just answered some questions for me. I just finished my 2nd AG last night (Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA). Since this is only my 2nd AG and I'm living in an apartment, my equipment list is limited. 2 items on my wish list is a gas burner and wort chiller.

Anyway, back to the brew. I noticed that I lost about ~1.5 gal of wort due to massive amounts of trub. On the last video you showed the amount of protein that was filtered out. Would I be wrong in believing I may have recovered an additional, say, .75 gals of wort had I gone this method? Also, how does this effect efficiency?

Thanks again for the video and the additional references.
I'm still not sure if it will get you better efficiency although, it seems like you might due to the longer mash time. Efficiency seems to be tied more to how finely your grains are milled as well as your mashing/sparging technique.

Two things I have found with AG Batches to help reduce trub:
1. being more thorough with vorlaufing (sp?)
2. longer primary - the trub seems to compact more the longer you let it sit (results will vary depending on yeast type)

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #152
Griff777
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did an enhanced double decoction yesterday. One of the benefits I have discovered to this method is the hot break on the boil was extremely less, probably due to the hot breaks that occurred in the decoction boils. I had done the same recipe a week earlier with single infusion and had to fight boilovers for about five minutes at hot break.

I welcome this improvement, as I could do my boil in one vessel. I usually have to use two vessels and then combine them after the hot breaks in each.

This recipe is 10 Lbs 2 row and 5 oz wheat malt, to clone Full Sail sessions Lager. I got the recipe from the brewmaster at Full Sail.

I bought a one quart dipper from a local restuarant supply house, and recommend that as transferring boiling wort is "touchy".

I will be able to compare taste on the two methods, but that's months away.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #153
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks for the videos, they were very helpful for my first attempt at a decoction last weekend. I mash in a 70qt igloo ice cube and typically batch sparge with a braid. One thing I did to pull the initial decoction volume was to open up the tun valve and dump the liquid into a bucket temporarily. This allowed me to pull grain out with a 2 qt Pyrex container fairly quickly without burning the $&*# out of my hands. I was a little worried about temperature loss and filtering enzymes back into the grain bed and denaturing them prematurely. The first decoction was paused for a sacc similar to Kaiser's video.

Temp drop was about 2°F by the time it was back in the cooler and SG was as predicted. Thoughts or criticisms on a temporary relocation of wort?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #154
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

excellent instructional video you're a natural.... and almost motivated me towards decoction if i wasn't such a lazy BAIB brewer!

GD51

Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #155
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tag

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #156
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok, so stupid question... For those doing a decoction mash, is it necessary to have a false bottom? or does the constant stirring work well enough?

Appreciate it, looking forward to trying this....

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #157
Jaimez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyemt View Post
Ok, so stupid question... For those doing a decoction mash, is it necessary to have a false bottom? or does the constant stirring work well enough?

Appreciate it, looking forward to trying this....
Do some more research on decoction mashing. Watch videos, read, ect.

You use your NORMAL mash tun. You PULL grain to boil in a separate vessal. Then return it to the Mash, which should have a false bottom, unless your BIAB.
Fermenter - Maibock, Parti Gyle Bravo SMaSH and O. Bitters SMaSH
Secondary -
On Deck -
Future Brew -

Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #158
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimez

Do some more research on decoction mashing. Watch videos, read, ect.

You use your NORMAL mash tun. You PULL grain to boil in a separate vessal. Then return it to the Mash, which should have a false bottom, unless your BIAB.
I have and am... Thanks

Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #159
billingsbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

WOW! I Watched this video over and over and over. The next day I tried it. It took me 12 hours from start to finish. But what I have already discovered was fantastic. Recirculation was the quickest ever, I didn't even see a piece of grain in my tubing. Hot break was almost nonexistent. There may have been 11/2 to 2 cups of protein break left in the bottom of my boil kettle. It did take me by surprise how thick the grains on top of the mash became just before the hot break, during the first decoction. It was almost like baking a muffin but then it became very liquid when the boil began. I wont know if it made any difference to do this for flavor verses a single infusion mash for a while. But it sure made a difference for extracting wort and the boil!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #160
hunter_la5
Recipes 

Liked 465 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

Awesome videos. Thanks for posting them.

I will be attempting my first decoction mash this weekend on a Bohemian Pilsner. Should be fun.

1. Brazos Bock,
2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB

Quick Reply