New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #131
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I saw those videos before I joined the forum. I must say well done sir!

My wife and I went to Germany for our honeymoon. Mostly in Bavaria (went to Oktoberfest of course) and in the German and Austrian Alps as well. Beautiful country. Awesome beers!

I've been doing double and single decoction mashes for a while now, with good success, thanks in part to you.

1.Bock 2. Bock 3. Orange Wheat 4. Orange Wheat 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Helles 3. Helles 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Altbier x2, Pale Ale, Porter x2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #132
Mateo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kaiser,

Most excellent videos. I gained a lot of ideas from watching those videos.

I attempted to employ the Enhanced Decoction for my Koelsch this weekend. I however, ran into a problem. As I returned the decoction to my main mash tun I did not reach the desired temperature. Instead it followed the lines of a triple decoction schedule. I just reverted to a triple and met my desired temps and rests. I guess the decoction volume was insufficient to reach the target temps.

However, it was a good learning experience

m.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 AM   #133
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Just watched the videos, great help! Take the fear factor out of the process.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #134
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Thank you for the video footage to accompany the lesson plan. Very well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #135
Andy_LV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

it actually makes sorta... a lot of sence - easy to hit desired rest temp using decoction.

and, its very easy to try making small batches - just started 10l (2.5gal?) batch on my ceramic-glass top in the kitchen using regular cooking pots.

what I have noticed (maybe cause of small batch and about 1/3 full mash tun after decoction) that I loose a lot of starting acid rest temp while I boil/rest/ect decoction - so I ended up a bit short on decoction when hitting sacharisation rest (had to top up from kettle) - adjusted in the formula starting temp to 30C (thats what I had after about hour of messing with first decoction) and ended up right to the amount I was missing - just heads up for people who use BIG mash tuns that will end up on the empty side after pulling decoction - you will loose bit more heat and topping up your decoction volume might be good idea.

Anyway, Her Kaiser, fantastic video and great explanation on the mashing process as it is, you inspired me to start my first Marzen 10l batch in the kitchen, and I just had the perfect 2.2kg of Munich malt - smells delicios! Did not had charcoal, using white paper towel to check conversion with iodine - works great.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #136
EDW5015
Recipes 

Default Decoction, step, heat stick in RIMS system

Hey Kai!

I have watched your youtube videos a million times and do a decoction occasionally but read that many German breweries are moving to step mashes for economical reasons. I have a RIMS system I designed and built. I have a LWD heating element in the system so there is no worries of scortching wert when temperature ramping.

I started doing protien rests after falling in love with Helles beers. I started by using my heat stick to raise the temp from the protein to the sacc rest but found that by the time i got to the sacc rest the wert had already converted cause my heat stick only increases a 5 gallon batch of wert at about 1 degree farenheight per min.

So I then would mash a protein rest at a dry water to grist ratio and then add an amount of boiling water in order to get to the sacc rest and correct conversion temp and water to grist ratio.

Now I am starting to brew other German beers and saw that many want a 2 stage sacc rest at 145 and then 155 (with variations).

So my question is can I use my heat stick to ramp from one sacc temperature to the other and get similar results as people who add hot water or do decoction (melanoidin aside)? Will my gradual temp ramp produce a different or worse beer than a sudden temp ramp? It would take me about 10-15 min to make the jump.

I find your posts on the net to be the absolute best available and would be honored for your input. Thanks!

Edwin

Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #137
NochEineMassBitte
G'suffa!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I finally got around to watching these, as I'm planning to try a decoction mash this spring for my Märzen. This is a fantastic resource. Much easier to understand than simply reading about it. Thanks, Kai!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #138
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDW5015 View Post
So my question is can I use my heat stick to ramp from one sacc temperature to the other and get similar results as people who add hot water or do decoction (melanoidin aside)? Will my gradual temp ramp produce a different or worse beer than a sudden temp ramp? It would take me about 10-15 min to make the jump.
Edwin,

Yes, you can do that. If you have a slower ramp and are getting a wort that is too fermentable you can always shorten the 145 F rest and start heating earlier.

Kai

Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #139
Jaimez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did my first Decoction on my last batch, an Amber Wheat. i love this Beer. I got the Flavor i was hoping for. Your Video made it a much easier process. I just wanted to say Thanks!

Fermenter - Maibock, Parti Gyle Bravo SMaSH and O. Bitters SMaSH
Secondary -
On Deck -
Future Brew -

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #140
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hey kaiser. I am making a Kolsch today and used your video to help out. I have been doing single infusion for the past year And thought I would try this out. After the mash out I saw a major improvement in enzyme activity for sugars. Danke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Quick Reply