New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:55 AM   #91
Mustangj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog View Post
Today's brew. This is how I do a decoction. First I find a friend who is willing to stir the decoction...........hehe........nice vids kai.

Nice setup!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #92
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog View Post
Today's brew. This is how I do a decoction. First I find a friend who is willing to stir the decoction...........hehe........nice vids kai.
Nice set-up indeed. Note that there should not be much stirring of the decoction necessary once it is converted. I keep the flame small enough to keep it from scorching. But I stir when I heat up to the comversion rest as the mash is thicker and I don't want to kill the enzymes that are on the bottom while the ones on the top are not even in their optimal temp range.

Kai

Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #93
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been running a double decoction schedule as so:

mash-in to reach 148F, hold for 60
--at 30-40 minutes in, pull decoction and apply heat to boil until first 60 is up
return decoction until reaching 158F or just under (I don't sweat up to 4 degrees shy)
start a 30 minute timer at the 158F rest
--at about 10 minutes in, or sometimes right away, pull a second decoction (also using whatever was left, if any, from 1st decoction), bring to boil till 30 minute second rest is done
return to reach 168 for mash-out. If any left, let cool and return.

This has been producing some fantastic flavor, and my efficiency hit 88% in a cooler mash-tun, which is ridiculous.

My only trouble so far is getting it to sit at 158 in the decoction pot for a rest of 10 minutes before going up to boiling. I'm using a glass cooktop installed in a work counter in my garage, and it seems to stay hot under the decoction, increasing the heat when I get to 158 and turn it off. I haven't gotten good enough yet to anticipate the extra rise. BUT - I'm almost done with my single tier. WIth that I will have my old turkey frier as a decoction vessel, so I can kill the flame completely for the 10 minute rest at 158, which will make things easier. Also the larger batch size and larger decoction should make it easier.

My new rig will eventually end up with a coil in the HLT to recirculate to control mash temps, so when that happens I won't worry as much about the decoction return coming up shy of the target. Right now that is often the case, but I can't really pull larger decoctions with the glass cooktop setup yet. Ahhh how this hobby pulls you in deeper and deeper!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #94
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
This has been producing some fantastic flavor, and my efficiency hit 88% in a cooler mash-tun, which is ridiculous.
glad to hear that it works for you.

Quote:
My only trouble so far is getting it to sit at 158 in the decoction pot for a rest of 10 minutes before going up to boiling. I'm using a glass cooktop installed in a work counter in my garage, and it seems to stay hot under the decoction, increasing the heat when I get to 158 and turn it off.
can you just move if off the burner?

Kai

Old 11-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #95
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
can you just move if off the burner?
I use a glass cooktop for decoctions and that's exactly what I do.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #96
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

damn.
Sometimes I am an absolute RETARD.
That's just so simple, and doesn't require me to weld, grind, plumb, or wire anything. That's probably why I couldn't think of it myself!

I'll do that Saturday. I usually have my first round of batch-sparge water in a pot on one burner, but that leaves enough room still to slide it over I think. If not, I can just put a wood block on the countertop there and set the pot on that like a cheap hot-pad.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #97
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

with a blushing face, I must admit that sliding the pot sideways off the hot burner worked fine. I'm still trying to figure out how to get beersmith to tell me how to decoct the proper amount, since I usually just pull more than called for, but this one little tip helped a lot.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #98
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how to get beersmith to tell me how to decoct the proper amount
It can't tell you that b/c it doesn't know how much water your are going to boil off during the decoction, how much the main mash dropped in temp and/or what the water/grist ratio in the decoction is.

Simply pull a little more than calculated and if a lot is left over after reaching the temp adjust for it the next time you brew this recipe.

Kai

Old 12-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #99
mpersinger
Recipes 

Thanks Kaiser.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #100
Beer Bomb
Recipes