Decoction for mash-out step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
I use a round 5-gal. igloo cooler for my mash/lauter tun and have always skipped the mash-out step, but next time I want to give it a shot. I was reading that a mash-out is pretty simple if you draw out some of the thin mash, boil it, and add it back. Sort of like a mini-decoction. If I wanted to do a single step infusion mash using 10 lbs. of grain and about 13 qts. of mash water and then use this method to mash out, how much thin mash would I want to draw out and boil? Everywhere I read says to drain about 5-6 qts., but after an expected 8-8.5 qts. or so that the grain bed absorbs, it seems that the 5-6 qts. needed to mash-out would be nearly all of the thin mash left in the tun. Does this seem right or am I miscalculating somewhere?

captaineriv

Using BeerSmith, I get about 4.5 qts as decoction volume. But since it is always better to overestimate this amount, I'd go with the 5-6qts and check the temp after you added 5 qts.

To draw the thin mash, just sparge (as you normally would) with fully opened valve into the brew kettle until you have 6qts. No Vorlauf, no slow sparging, just let it rip. I have to thank the Baron for this tip ;). Then boil it until the hot break is over and it it back to your mash.

Kai

Thanks for the tip. Sounds easy enough. What to do with the extra quart that was drawn if not needed to raise the temp? just add it straight to the boil after lautering?

captaineriv

I will have to try that. I have a 5 gal. setup also, and if the grain bill is large enough (11.5 lb or more) mashout is difficult, if not impossible. Now if I can just get a lagering fridge...:D

captaineriv said:
Thanks for the tip. Sounds easy enough. What to do with the extra quart that was drawn if not needed to raise the temp? just add it straight to the boil after lautering?

captaineriv

just let it cool down until it hits the mash-out temp and add to the mash.

Kai

Back