Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > decoction mash with a heat stick

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default decoction mash with a heat stick

Hey all,

I'm looking to do my first Bohemain Pilsner next weekend. The recipe calls for a double decoction mash. I normally brew 11 gallon batches, so that's what I'm planning here. I'm all electric in my basement with elements mounted in keggles and a RIMS tube for the mash. My keggles are all bottom draining.

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a double decoction work with my system.

Option 1: I could scoop out the mash needed for the decoction, put it in a pot, then carry it up to the stove. I can use the stove and a supplemental heat stick to do the boiling.

Option 2: I could just use the heat stick and constant stirring in the basement and see if that can get it to boiling.

Option 3: Forget the decoction. Do a step mash of some kind using the RIMS tube.

Any opinions? I'd like to do the decoction, actually, but I want to be realistic about doing it with a heat stick. I suppose I could also borrow a propane burner from someone at the brew club and do the decoction outside.

Thanks for the opinions. Cheers!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sure would be easier. Any particular reason to forfeit the decoction?

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 546 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 420

I'd think that, in a thick mash, you're going to get scorching with a heatstick unless it's ULWD. You should be OK if you keep the decoction you pull small enough to boil on the stove without using the stick. If it's not enough to get the temperature step you could use your RIMS to get the rest of the way.

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I'd think that, in a thick mash, you're going to get scorching with a heatstick unless it's ULWD. You should be OK if you keep the decoction you pull small enough to boil on the stove without using the stick. If it's not enough to get the temperature step you could use your RIMS to get the rest of the way.
I agree. When I do a decoction, I use my kitchen stove. but no heat stick!

(I KNEW Denny would say #3! )

Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I vote decoction mash! Why, not because it will make your beer better but because I think it is fun to do every now and then.

I say stove top but I have no experience with heating elements so that's just me. That said, I'd skip any protein rest or anything like that and start somewhere in the 140s and then decoct enough to get up to 156*. Then if you want you can do the mashout too. That big step take a lot of grist to get the temp up, I'm gonna avoid it from now on I think

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Sure would be easier. Any particular reason to forfeit the decoction?
2 reasons....first, I'm not sure you'd get enough heat and that it would be evenly sistributed. Second, my experience is that a single decoction just doesn't do anything for beer flavor. To me, it's a lot of work with no pay off.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

(I KNEW Denny would say #3! )
You're a smart lady!

www.dennybrew.com

Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I vote for #1. I am a fan of the decoction mashes. Even heat distribution on a stove will prevent scorching better than the heat stick.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Brewing up the pilsner today. Will actually be doing it at a buddy's house from the brew club. He has an outdoor setup and the weather is favorable.

I've been looking into both a steam wand and an induction cooktop setup. I suppose if I really want to build in a capacity for regular decoction mashes in my indoor electric setup, the induction cooktop looks appealing. $70 for a 1500 watt cooktop. Another $90 or so for a 10 gallon induction pot. It's an investment, but not out of bounds. I'm not sure if 1500 watts is enough, though, as I'm generally doing 10 gallon batches.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Quick Reply