Debating on a refractometer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one like this from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H7ILCW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think most of them are fairly similar. Just make sure you get an ATC ( auto temp correct).

I did one AG with just a hydrometer and was tearing my hair out, then bought a refrax. So much faster with a refrax. I still double check my OG with a hydro in the bucket or kettle, but during brewing it is super quick and easy. I calibrate with tap water at the start of each brew, since it seems to drift up and down by a few brix.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are a lot cheaper than they used to be! Very valuable in brewing, I got mine off craigslist locally and came with a beaker for starters a few years back. I'm considering getting one that reads plato and gravity. I check mine once every 5 or so brews to make sure its calibrated.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago and used it for the first time. I really like it and I'm glad I have one now. It's so easy on brew day! If you're thinking about getting one check out http://brewhardware.com

This is the one I got. Good quality. Plus you'd be supporting BobbyM who is a fellow HBT'er and homebrewer.

Thanks guys. Consider me sold. Sorta blows that one needs to ship from China. Also, wow that Bobby has some cool stuff at brewhardware.com Big fan of supporting small business. Might have to go with his.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago and used it for the first time. I really like it and I'm glad I have one now. It's so easy on brew day! If you're thinking about getting one check out http://brewhardware.com

This is the one I got. Good quality. Plus you'd be supporting BobbyM who is a fellow HBT'er and homebrewer.

I agree. I bought mine from Bobby, and when I posted questions about how to use it, guess who answered...?? Bobby from Brew Hardware.

Get the model that has Auto Temp Calibration (ATC) is was under $40.

In addition, I slightly disagree with the comment about checking calibration every 5 brews. Depending on where you brew (outside vs inside) the ambient temperature of the air plays a role in the accuracy of the refractometer.

To calibrate correctly, the distilled water sample and refractometer should both be around 68 degrees F, BUT most important is that they both are the same temperature.

For instance I brewed outside yesterday in northern VT and it was around 48 degrees outside. I brought refractometer and sample outside and let them come to that temperature and then calibrated.
The ATC aspect of the device will "correct" the readings as long as the temperature does not fluctuate much +/- 20 degrees.

I just bought the one from Amazon. When I opened the box 10 days later, inside was a sports bra. So there's that.

a-minus-minus.png

I got one from Amazon for $28, it has no name, comes in a blue box. Anyway, it's dead nuts on the money every time. I use my pocket knife to get few drops of wort, it's just to easy.

rustym said:

+1 on BobbyM's equipment offerings here as well.

My wife got me the brew tools kit for Christmas. The kit comes with a refractometer, thermometer, and a digital scale. VERY happy with all three items! The refractometer has really made brew day much more enjoyable, makes it so easy to take a quick gravity reading. The thermometer is fast, accurate and can be easily calibrated. The scale is for small, under 5 oz, items and is great for hops and other small amount additions. Check it out, I think you'll be happy with them.

Here's a few different units to whet your appetites...

www.RSG-100ATC.com - $22.00 0-32% Brix and 1.000-1.120 Wort SG Refractometers - FREE S&H to the USA and CANADA

www.BREWfractometer.com - $64.99 for the Hyper Accurate 0-32% Brix and 1.000-1.140 Wort SG - Wort SG scale corrected

Ready for this?

At www.nisSales.com they have the...
BREWx (BREWfractometer Extreme) - 0-40% Brix and 1.000-1.180 Wort SG Scale - Wort SG Scale is corrected
This one is pricey at $139.99, but truly one of a kind. "Sink the Bismarck", aahhhh!

Beware of any of the cheap Chinese refracs on eBay that display SG. The brix-SG scale they use is not accurate over like 1.050 or something. So the brix is accurate, but the SG may not be. The seller I bought from mentioned this in the description, but not all of them do. I always still convert from brix.

For a typical beer wort, 20 brix would translate to about 1.080. If you were measuring wine must, then 20 brix would translate to about 1.083

-a.

I got one off ebay also but the one i have apparently has the S.G scale fixed since 20 brix is sitting right at 1.084 s.g.

Hmmm. I never actually double-checked if it was wrong or not. Maybe I should do that... I just took their warning.

Wow thanks for pointing that out. i guess if i ever do big beers i will just use the brix side!! thanks again for that info.

I agree. I bought mine from Bobby, and when I posted questions about how to use it, guess who answered...?? Bobby from Brew Hardware.

Get the model that has Auto Temp Calibration (ATC) is was under $40.

In addition, I slightly disagree with the comment about checking calibration every 5 brews. Depending on where you brew (outside vs inside) the ambient temperature of the air plays a role in the accuracy of the refractometer.

To calibrate correctly, the distilled water sample and refractometer should both be around 68 degrees F, BUT most important is that they both are the same temperature.

For instance I brewed outside yesterday in northern VT and it was around 48 degrees outside. I brought refractometer and sample outside and let them come to that temperature and then calibrated.
The ATC aspect of the device will "correct" the readings as long as the temperature does not fluctuate much +/- 20 degrees.
I calibrated mine with distilled water, then RO water, then tap water, I even spit on the stupid thing and they all read zero! My point being you don't need distilled water to calibrate, unless you have serious issues with your water. I make sure mine is dialed in at zero every time with some water. It reads exactly what my Hydrometer does, but is much more convenient unless taking a F.G. reading. Best $20 I have spent!

For a typical beer wort, 20 brix would translate to about 1.080. If you were measuring wine must, then 20 brix would translate to about 1.083

-a.

I'm not quite sure how any refractometer can determine wort from must. Can you explain why wort brix -> SG translation differs from must?

Also, does anyone own the Brewfractometer mentioned in this thread? I'm all for spending a little more on quality vs buying again after first one breaks. Just wondering if the higher SG, hard case and aluminum body are worth the extra $40.

Thanks

Brewdiction said:
I'm not quite sure how any refractometer can determine wort from must. Can you explain why wort brix -> SG translation differs from must? Also, does anyone own the Brewfractometer mentioned in this thread? I'm all for spending a little more on quality vs buying again after first one breaks. Just wondering if the higher SG, hard case and aluminum body are worth the extra $40. Thanks
I am not an expert but wort contains maltose. Must contains fructose. Most if not all refractometers are designed to measure the bending of light through fructose. Maltose bends light slightly more or less (not sure which). So, for measuring maltose content you need to make an adjustment to compensate.

I am not an expert but wort contains maltose. Must contains fructose. Most if not all refractometers are designed to measure the bending of light through fructose. Maltose bends light slightly more or less (not sure which). So, for measuring maltose content you need to make an adjustment to compensate.

+1

For more information see http://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/ and http://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor/

-a.

Hey Im not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but I bought a refractometer as a present for my self last year. I thought it was super awesome! invaluable for all-grain taking multiple readings at different points in the brewing process.

BUT,(and its a big but) I either did not read directions or something because while using it for post fermentation readings I could never get the measurement to go below 1.030 FG. so after a year of messing with everything but my refrac, and dumping too many batches that could have turned out well juts because I thought they were not done fermenting, I finally started to suspect my refractometer.:smack:

basiclly because of the alcohol in the beer you cant use the refrac (or have to make inaccurate conversions). So dont toss your hydrometer and use it for post ferm, also not a bad idea to check your refractometer with your hydrometer ever once and a while.

know your tools. Cheers :mug:

I got mine fro Bobby M at Brew Hardware. Nice guy good service. It sure is nice to be able to check the gravity without having to mess with a hydrometer.

Thanks for the info. It totally makes sense a refractometer will have an error factor that is different for wort vs must vs sugar, etc. But that same factor would apply to plato, brix, and sg. I e 20 brix would always equal 1.083. When you apply the CF, both values change. The correction factor is needed since your refractometer displays something outside of 20 and 1.083.

In other words, the statement above is like saying 1" = 2.54cm when you measure steel but when you measure wood 1" =2.50cm which is not true. They may expand at different rates with temperature but that CF applies to both scales.

A refractometer does not actually measure Brix. It measures the refractive index of a solution, and expresses the result as a value equivalent to that of a pure sucrose solution in water at 20C.
The composition of the wort most certainly has an affect on the algorithm used to calculate this equivalence.

-a.

Thanks ajf. I understand what you are saying. Different sugar solutions will refract the light differently, hence the correction factor described in the linked article. Your comment that a reading of 20 brix will mean different SG depending on the solution just isnt true. Both brix and SG will change together based on your CF adjusted measurement.

Is anyone else following my thought process?

Brewdiction said:
Thanks ajf. I understand what you are saying. Different sugar solutions will refract the light differently, hence the correction factor described in the linked article. Your comment that a reading of 20 brix will mean different SG depending on the solution just isnt true. Both brix and SG will change together based on your CF adjusted measurement. Is anyone else following my thought process?
You are assuming a linear relationship between brix and specific gravity. The relationship as described by the polynomials used to convert from brix to SG is not linear. As such the correction factor is also different for the two scales. It is true there is a correction factor for both but the correction factors are different.

alestateyall said:
You are assuming a linear relationship between brix and specific gravity. The relationship as described by the polynomials used to convert from brix to SG is not linear. As such the correction factor is also different for the two scales. It is true there is a correction factor for both but the correction factors are different.
This article has a cubic equation to covert from brix to SG. Even that equation is an approximation.

http://byo.com/stories/item/1313-refractometers

Thanks ajf. I understand what you are saying. Different sugar solutions will refract the light differently, hence the correction factor described in the linked article. Your comment that a reading of 20 brix will mean different SG depending on the solution just isnt true. Both brix and SG will change together based on your CF adjusted measurement.

Is anyone else following my thought process?

I do understand your thought process, and it would be correct if you were measuring a solution of sucrose in water, but you aren't. You are measuring a solution of wort. This causes the Brix reading to be reported incorrectly.
I ran a simple experiment in October 2012 to verify this,
see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/refractometer-question-362437/index3.html post number 25.

-a.

Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself

Love my refactormeter! It's the most important tool in my opinion. I use with my starter and throughout my brew day. It's a must have tool in my opinion.

-a.

Guys, appreciate the replies but think we are all saying the same thing. Let's go back to the original quote that raised my question. I think ajf is saying the 'reading of 20' on the refractometer will have different SG for different solutions...which is true since a specific correction factor has yet to be applied which differs across solution types and temperature.

If you think about it, the number you read on the refractometer (or hydrometer) is useless until it is corrected for these errors. Then, it is a measurement.

I interpreted the word 'measurement' in the statement as a 'post corrected measurement' of 20 brix could have several corresponding SG values. I think we will all agree that cannot be true. The equation can have only one positive real number solution.

Brix -> SG Equation:
SG = (Brix / (258.6-((Brix / 258.2)*227.1))) + 1
(Source: Brew Your Own Magazine)

Right? If you measured 20 brix (after applying correction factors) you should calculate approx. 1.083 SG regardless of the solution because the variances in solution from sucrose is exactly why you have the CF!

Back