Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dbl ipa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
KingHippo
@chestrockwell80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Dbl ipa

Not quite sure what happened but i brewed a DBL IPA yesterday. After almost a year without homebrewing. (New apartment,new obstacles to hurdle like Garden hose two-stories down from my bathroom sink)
Anyways, My OG was way off by about 20 points too low. Trying to avoid a rainstorm i quickly added all my knockout hops@0mins and chilled my wort.
Thinking later that i could of boiled off more water or added DME to boost it up to where i want it.
So i pitched my yeast starter of 001 (Cal-Ale Baby!!) and the airlock started ripping bong hits in two hours. Has anyone ever added DME while fermentation has already begun to bulk up the gravity?
Cheers
Bryan with a Y

"How come things that only happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer J. Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I haven't added DME that late, but I've definitely added it after the boil when I got a new system and missed my OG by 15 points!

You could just boil up the DME in as little water as possible, boil for 5 minutes, cool, and gently add to the fermenter.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
KingHippo
@chestrockwell80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I haven't added DME that late, but I've definitely added it after the boil when I got a new system and missed my OG by 15 points!

You could just boil up the DME in as little water as possible, boil for 5 minutes, cool, and gently add to the fermenter.
Good idea.. thanks

"How come things that only happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer J. Simpson

Quick Reply