The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is Dave Miller's "Handbook" still relevant?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
perry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is Dave Miller's "Handbook" still relevant?

Hey, all.

I've been refering to Miller's Complete Handbook of Home Brewing since about 1990... I'm just wondering, is his stuff still considered useful in the homebrew community? Are there better references now? I found his discussions of the chemistry of brewing useful in the beginning, but in terms of experimentaion with ingredients and and such, the book is pretty limited. Much has changed in the last fifteen years...

jp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Easy, buy his latest edition. Like all of us, he's still learning. Personally, I like Palmer's "How To Brew" better, but I have a 1995 edition of Miller's book and it has its points.

There is a very good book series from Brewers Publications that are titled like, "Brown Ale" and are great for someone trying to refine a favorite style.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply