Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Darkening Beer After Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
jmhbutler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default Darkening Beer After Primary

Hi everyone,

I recently brewed a batch of Northern Brewer's St. Paul Porter. When purchasing ingredients from my LHBS, I mistakenly used American chocolate malt in place of the British variation, unknowing the substantially different lovibonds.

While transferring to the secondary, the beer tasted great but I am displeased with the unusual translucent brown colour of the beer.

My correction plan was to create a 1L minimash using black malt, cooling, and adding this to the secondary for a "secondary fermentation".

I was hoping the more experienced members might give me their input on this plan of action.

Many thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Sounds to me that would work. But it is a bit of a guess as to how much it will change the color. It might also change the taste quite a bit.

If it were me I would leave it alone and correct it on the next brew. You can drink from an opaque glass/stein so you don't have to see the color.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Look for some sinamar. It's a black malt extract that you can use for color changes. Don't add back malt to the beer. Use the sinamar.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 09-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
wmtunate
Recipes 

I think cold-steeping a pound or two of crushed Carafa III Special (the de-bittered kind), boiling the resulting liquid for 15 minutes or so, and then adding it to the fermenter would add the desired color without significantly changing the flavor profile.

Quick Reply