Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Danstar Munich VS Fermentis WB-06 (Happy Wife Wheat)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #31
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
I get the sour thing as well. I thought it could have been down to something in my brewing process, but if you get it too then I guess it's a characteristic of the yeast .
Yea it's the yeast. These two beers were brewed as one then split and pitched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 AM   #32
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the news, albeit disappointing. You saved me 7 hours of work and 3 weeks of waiting. It may have been the first keg for me to dump.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 AM   #33
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Thanks for the news, albeit disappointing. You saved me 7 hours of work and 3 weeks of waiting. It may have been the first keg for me to dump.
I think that with a good american wheat recipe the Danstar would be a good easy yeast to use. The Fermentis is crap.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #34
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts

Default Just Got Free Pack of Danstar Munich

I was at the local HB picked up ingredients for my House Amber & Jamil's Saison.....

The LHBS owner asked if I want a free Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast. I'm like........ "Aaaaa Sure!!!! Wasn't planning to make a wheat but who knows. I might have too. "

I guess the Danstar Distributor is trying to set the hook in us and asked all his LHBS's to give it away.

I can handle that. I might have to make FSR402's wheat recipe. I have been on a Lighter Lawnmower Beer Kick lately. So this seams AOK to me. American Heffe...

I gots to do the Saison first. I've been procrastinating about it for months!!

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 07-19-2008, 03:17 AM   #35
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
I was at the local HB picked up ingredients for my House Amber & Jamil's Saison.....

The LHBS owner asked if I want a free Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast. I'm like........ "Aaaaa Sure!!!! Wasn't planning to make a wheat but who knows. I might have too. "

I guess the Danstar Distributor is trying to set the hook in us and asked all his LHBS's to give it away.

I can handle that. I might have to make FSR402's wheat recipe. I have been on a Lighter Lawnmower Beer Kick lately. So this seams AOK to me. American Heffe...

I gots to do the Saison first. I've been procrastinating about it for months!!

Well my wife floated the keg with the Danstar in 3 weeks. I'm still working on the Fermentis. I even added 2oz of Blueberry extract to see if it would make it any better. It helped but not a lot.

I did brew up another wheat for a freind and I used the Danstar (he did not want to pay for the WLP300+ starter) and it's sitting on 10#s of strawberries right now.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #36
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
Well my wife floated the keg with the Danstar in 3 weeks. I'm still working on the Fermentis. I even added 2oz of Blueberry extract to see if it would make it any better. It helped but not a lot.

I did brew up another wheat for a freind and I used the Danstar (he did not want to pay for the WLP300+ starter) and it's sitting on 10#s of strawberries right now.
I'd try adding anything citrus to that beer. Tart it up. Or try cutting it w/ something else making a black & tan. Kind of like a pseudo dunkelweizen.

Hmmmm 10lbs of strawberries. Reminds me of my Banana Cream Ale w/ 5lbs of banana ~ 22 bananas.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #37
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Any thoughts on what other dry "heffe" yeasts we should test next? If I do a yeast test, I'll be sure to post about it.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #38
FSR402

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
Any thoughts on what other dry "heffe" yeasts we should test next? If I do a yeast test, I'll be sure to post about it.
I don't know of any others out yet.

But I did brew up another wheat with a little change in grain and hops from this one, used the Danstar and then set it on 10 pounds of strawberries for 18 days. I just tapped the keg 3 hours ago. It's freaking great.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #39
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have been wanting to do this same experiment for a while now since these are the only two dry yeasts I have not used. On Thursday I brewed up 11 gallons of a 60/40 wheat malt/pilsner and pitched a rehydrated pack of each into exactly 5.5 gallons of wort at 63F. They have been at 63 ever since and will remain there till activity slows down. This is within the suggested range for each of these and the temp I find to give the best balance in wheat yeasts. It should give a pretty good indication of the flavor profile of each of these since there was no spices or late hops or anything added. So far the WB-06 started a bit quicker but seems to already be dropping krausen, whereas the Munich was coming out of the airlock when I got up this morning. The Munich is the one that now has the blow-off.

I am going to bottle condition these for ease of taking to parties and the like. I won't drink a lot of this style but my friends love it and it will make a nice pool beer, so I will report back in about a month or so after this is all carbed up.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #40
Pisty_Pete
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I have been wanting to do this same experiment for a while now since these are the only two dry yeasts I have not used. On Thursday I brewed up 11 gallons of a 60/40 wheat malt/pilsner and pitched a rehydrated pack of each into exactly 5.5 gallons of wort at 63F. They have been at 63 ever since and will remain there till activity slows down. This is within the suggested range for each of these and the temp I find to give the best balance in wheat yeasts. It should give a pretty good indication of the flavor profile of each of these since there was no spices or late hops or anything added. So far the WB-06 started a bit quicker but seems to already be dropping krausen, whereas the Munich was coming out of the airlock when I got up this morning. The Munich is the one that now has the blow-off.

I am going to bottle condition these for ease of taking to parties and the like. I won't drink a lot of this style but my friends love it and it will make a nice pool beer, so I will report back in about a month or so after this is all carbed up.

So, what's the final word??

I've got a roggenbier kit from northern brewer that I'm brewing up with WB-06 and all of these less than favorable reviews have got me worried...

Quick Reply