Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Danger zone!(?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
johnnyjumpup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Danger zone!(?)

Hello all,
I don't know if this is really the right forum (perhaps it should be in yeast and fermentation??) but it is an all-grain beer, so I'm hoping it will not be too out of place.

I chilled 4 gallons of wort in my refrigerator with a lid on the kettle and the hops still in. This usually takes me a couple of hours with a one gallon batch, and this being my first 4 gallon was a bit of an experiment. Well, it took 9 hours to get down to temp. My question is... will it be safe to drink? I pitched a hefty 11.5g of dry ale yeast once it was "cool" and the lid was on the whole time, but 9 hours is a LONG time to be in the "danger zone". Knowing that people have been making beer for thousands of years with open fermentation and no good way to rapidly drop wort temperature puts me a little more at ease, but I would love to know what you guys think before I presume it to be safe.

Many thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

It's not going to hurt you. The worst that can happen is it gets infected, which if you took basic precautions probably didn't happen, anyway, and even if it's infected you can still drink it...you just may not enjoy it. There are plenty of people here on HBT that practice what is called "no chill" brewing which is essentially what you just did, and their beer turns out fine.

Exploring No-Chill Brewing

Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
remandsager
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, it will still make good beer. Fear not! However, its time to get a wort chiller...lots of posts on how to make your own, or they are readily available for purchase.

Quick Reply