Czech Budejovice yeast slow?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkcolo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finished brewing my normal all-grain Czech Pils and decided to try WLP802 Budejovice yeast. Made 2L starter with 2 vials of yeast. Was a slow yeast starter, but worked. Pitched last Saturday and have held at 52degF...today is day 4 and not much has happened. SG has hardly moved but there is the krausen forming on top.

Has anyone used this yeast and did you have same slow start? Did I have old batch? Vial says best before apr 19,2013...

Thanks

Never used the yeast, but I'll try to provide some useful info for you.

That you had a slow starter is a potential red flag. The age of the yeast is a likely culprit here, but since you did a big starter it's not that much of a concern so long you gave it enough time.

There's a krausen forming, so you know things are happening. I usually don't even bother with checking gravity until at least a week if not two. So, don't sweat it yet after only 4 days.

I would guess you ended up pitching a little low. It depends on age of the yeast coupled with how you made the starter and how long you gave it to ramp up. There's a good amount of variability in there with constant stirring, occasional shaking, no perturbation, SG of the starter wort, and more.

You know it's active now, so it'll start taking off very soon. Give it a week from now and then test it.

Back