Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Crystal Malts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
jet35a
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Crystal Malts

I’ve been dreaming of my first all grain batch, browsing different recipes, as I gather the necessary equipment. I will stick with an ingredient kit for at least the first batch till I get a “feel” for the process.

In looking at the “Brewsmiths IPA” in the recipe files, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/brew...an-ipa-125822/, the Crystal Malts are labeled as 35L and 75L. Austin Homebrew Supply has their Crystal Malts labeled in increments of 10, i.e. 20L, 30L etc.

Do you round this up or down, leaning towards the character you favor ? Or just keep searching for the specified ingredients, Morebeer has a 75L but no 35L. Am I being to anal in following the recipe exactly?

On another subject…any Smuttynose IPA clone recipes?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd say don't sweat it. Round one up and the next down (assuming there's two crystal's). As you mentioned, you can tell for the most part what you're getting. Also, unless the crystal is a huge part of the grist 5L here and there is not going to make a noticeable difference in flavor and if you've ever read anything about the color of beer, you shouldn't be too concerned about it either.

...not sure where you're shopping, but just wait until you have to start making hop substitutions - that's when it gets painful for me.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'd use 40 and 80L. Briess seems to like even numbers and Great Western tends to use odd ones. I really can't taste the difference it 10L and 15L or 75L and 80L.

Quick Reply