Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Crystal/CaraPils in Mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #11
ColoradoXJ13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Way too much in adjunts as uwmgdman said. Try keeping your adjunts to 10% or thereabouts.
mashing at 154 would increase your mouthfeel. If you want the sweetness then just go with a higher crystal L rating and lower the amount you want.

ok,,,,what about

12# 2-row
0.75# Crystal 20L
0.75# Carapils

I need more body than in my original, and need more head retention b/c I am adding lemon and grapefruit zest which I read kill head retention.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would suggest cutting your crystals in half and cutting 2 lbs of your 2 row at the same time ADDING 4lbs of munich malt to make up the missing 2lbs of 2row and 2lbs of crystal. Munich malt is groovy baby. Adds kick @$$ maltiness! My next IPA I'm going with 2lbs crystal 40 1/2 lbs each of carafoam and melanoidin and 10 lbs munich and 5 lbs of maris otter. Munich malt is a mashing grain that has enough enzymes to convert itself while there will be 3 lbs of specialty grains I figured I'd throw in 5lbs of 2 row to make sure there was enough enzymes to convert all the starches and the enzymes wouldn't get tied up lazing around the steeping grains. And what 2-row malt is better than maris otter? (personal opinion of course. ) I'm going to also use Simcoe, Sorachi Ace AND Cascade hops with american ale 2 (can't remember the number) from WYeast. Anyhow I meant to toss in my 2 cents and ya got about a buck fifty. My apologies, I've just been thinking about this next batch for awhile now. hehehe. (actually I think this one lands more in the barleywine category... oops...)

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13
ok,,,,what about

12# 2-row
0.75# Crystal 20L
0.75# Carapils

I need more body than in my original, and need more head retention b/c I am adding lemon and grapefruit zest which I read kill head retention.

I think that sounds reasonable. I never have added citrus zest to a beer, but I can imagine how it would kill head retention, essential oils and all. Good luck!

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Also, not including the crystal in the full mash is inviting high mash Ph, and thus very poor efficiency. I definitely do not recommend this, unless you have unusually low Ph water.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 AM   #15
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsawyer
I would suggest cutting your crystals in half and cutting 2 lbs of your 2 row at the same time ADDING 4lbs of munich malt to make up the missing 2lbs of 2row and 2lbs of crystal. Munich malt is groovy baby. Adds kick @$$ maltiness!)
Gotta love the Munich. It seems to balance out a lot of hop bitterness in some of my recipies, gives a malty flavor and perceived body.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-20-2007, 01:37 AM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I love Munich, too. My best beer ever was an IPA with three pounds (and not much crystal, a small amount of something low, maybe a half pound). If you're concerned about head retention, toss a half pound of wheat malt into the mix.

EDIT: Half pound of Crystal 10L, half pound of crystal 40L, the Munich, half a pound of wheat malt.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #17
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

ok, final recipe, going to the LHBS

6# Marris Otter
6# Munich