Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Crushed (malted) grain remains fresh for ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Pintdiaries
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Crushed (malted) grain remains fresh for ??

I received a Pliny the Elder all-grain clone kit as a gift on July 10. I intended to brew it right away; but, because I got sick, was unable to. So, I stored it in my 2nd fridge. 2 days later, the fridge died. So, it's been in my garage (coolest place in my house) for almost 2 months, at about 70-85 degrees.

Should I assume the crushed malted grains are "toast"? Or is it worth trying to brew the batch anyway?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have brewed crushed grains about 6 weeks later and tasted fine. If it was a gift, you have nothing to loose but about 4 hous or so of your time. I'd give it a rip.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I think you should be ok within that time frame but it probably wouldn't hurt to have some DME on hand just in case you're pre-boil gravity is a bit lower than it should be.

I hate Walder Frey...

Pintdiaries Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Pliny the elder clone? DO ITTTT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”
Pintdiaries Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Oxygen, bugs, and moisture are the three things that will ruin grain in short order. If you had the grains stored airtight and moisture free, and don't show any visible signs of turning, they are probably fine.

HOWEVER, I certainly would repurpose those particular grains for another brew, and NOT use them in a Pliny Clone. The grains are certainly NOT at peak freshness after two months in the garage, and I wouldn't want to waste a metric s**tton of hops with subpar grain. Go buy fresh grain for the Pliny Clone, make something else with the old grain.

Good luck!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

People Like This 
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Oxygen, bugs, and moisture are the three things that will ruin grain in short order. If you had the grains stored airtight and moisture free, and don't show any visible signs of turning, they are probably fine.

HOWEVER, I certainly would repurpose those particular grains for another brew, and NOT use them in a Pliny Clone. The grains are certainly NOT at peak freshness after two months in the garage, and I wouldn't want to waste a metric s**tton of hops with subpar grain. Go buy fresh grain for the Pliny Clone, make something else with the old grain.

Good luck!
THIS is excellent advice!

I used to use pre-crushed grains all the time and, at times, several months old. The only thing I can imagine that suffered was my target gravities. I suspect they were a bit low overall after several months of storage.

I think TopherM's advice is perfect. You want to get a good Pliny clone so use fresh grain. The older crushed grain will be perfect for a rent beer.

Quick Reply