New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Crushed grain can still convert after 1 yr - Experimental proof

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Crushed grain can still convert after 1 yr - Experimental proof

Let's try this again, I think my title in my other thread had people thinking, "man, yet another crushed grain thread". No, this is the RESULTS of the experiment.

I helped my wife set up and run a new lab for her class (Intro. Plant Biology) that primarily was to show the students starch conversion. She used to have them do this complicated (but classic) barley half-seed experiment that looked at the role of hormones, the embryo, and a bunch of other things involved in seed germination/starch degradation. It was a pain, and I usually got roped into making hundreds of petri plates with different additons to the starch containing media. Last year we did a demo of mashing, this year we had the students do the new experiment.

Basically we have the students do a really mini-mash (1 gm in 10 ml of water), and then use iodine to monitor starch conversion. We had them compare 6-row, 2-row, and Vienna malt. We also had some leftover malts (6 & 2-row) from last year, so I thought, hey, what a great chance to check for crushed malt longevity! The malt from last fall was just crushed and then sealed in a ziploc bag and kept at ~ 70 F for one year. The husks cause some problems so this year I double milled the grains and then removed as much of the husks as possible giving me a malt "flour". I then took this malt and ran it through a coffee grinding to make it really fine. The year old malt (and it's husks) was also ground in a similar manner. Therefore the year-old malt will have less endosperm, gram for gram compared to the fresh stuff.

We've been busy so we hadn't worked all of the bugs out ahead of time so we thought we'd have the students help to figure out the best protocols. That wasn't working so well, so I set up some reactions this morning. I did times 0, 10 min, and 20 min. (plus 35 min. for two of them)

Results:

As expected 6-row was the fastest. 2-row and Vienna were close behind. And the biggies, both the year old crushed 2 and 6 row were able to convert. The old 6-row was fully converted within 35 min. I suspect if I waited another 10-15 min, the old 2-row would have been fully converted

I think the key was that the crushed malt was stored in air-tight bags. So, as long as crushed grain is stored properly, it can retain a good chunk of it's enzymatic activity.

I post the results again next year. I'll save some of the finely ground malt powder I just made and check it again next fall. Maybe some 2 year old then too. I'll also intentionally store some in a poorly sealed container.

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
pahiker6
Recipes 

Sweet post. You should submit this to BYO or Zymurgy.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I still wouldn't want to use it, but it's an interesting experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

I love the fact that you are warping the little minds towards homebrewing!!!!!

Good experiment.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I still wouldn't want to use it, but it's an interesting experiment.
I would be hesitant to use it myself. While it can still convert, that just gives one sugars to ferment. It doesn't address whether any of the flavor components held up to. - think stale cracker.

But if you are on a budget, or just Jonesing to brew and it's all you got. It probably won't make a beer a great beer, but for those not fussy, it would be beer.
Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

pjj2ba - Thanks, I learned something today that I would never have tried myself. Seriously, that was great.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply