Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Creamy" Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
ahoffman565
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Creamy" Carbonation

The carbonation in all of my batches to date has been rather odd. What I mean by that is when the beer is poured, the head is made up of extremely fine bubbles which take a long time to subside. It's not the "crisp" bubbly kind of carbonation I would expect, rather it's more like a creamy foam. I thought that this may be due to the amount of corn sugar I'm using when bottling (usually about 4.5 oz / 5 gallon batch), but I've used as little as 3.5 oz. with no noticible effects. Has anyone else run into this, or have any suggestions for making a "crisper" carbonation?

Thanks,
Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 15

4.5 oz. seems like a normal amount of priming sugar for a 5g batch. I think many people are actually targeting a creamy thin bubbled head on their beers. So I'm not sure if there's an issue there.

Out of curiosity, how long between priming & opening of the beer when you noticed this?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The beer's head isn't really a product of the level of carbonation, it more has to do with the grains in your recipe.

Quote:
Beer head (also known as the head) is produced by bubbles of carbon dioxide rising to the surface.

The density and longevity of the head will be determined by the type of malt and adjunct from which the beer was fermented. Different mash schedules and cereal sources influence head retention.

In general, wheat tends to produce larger and longer lasting heads than barley.

Formation through carbon dioxide

The carbon dioxide may be produced naturally through the activity of brewers yeast, or artificially by dissolving carbon dioxide under pressure into the liquid. The beer head is created by the carbon dioxide produced as a byproduct of the metabolism of brewer's yeast acting upon starches and sugars found in the wort.

Chemical composition

While the actual foam activity of beer depends on the presence of carbon dioxide, it is the surface-active materials like amphipathic polypeptides from malt that determine size, shape and length of the foam.

Beer foam consists of polypeptides of five different classifications, divided by their relative hydrophobicity. As the hydrophobicity of the polypeptide groups increases, so does the stability of the foam[1].

Carbonation occurs when carbon dioxide is dissolved in water or an aqueous solution. This process is generally represented by the following reaction, where water and gaseous carbon dioxide react to form a dilute solution of carbonic acid.
If your head is "creamier" than others, what is different in this grainbill than in others?

You could put the same amount of priming sugar in two different recipes, and the beer head will be completely different.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
ahoffman565
Recipes 

The time between priming and first tasting is around 3 - 4 weeks.

Let me clarify by original post by saying that I'm not looking for more of a "soda" type of carbonation by any means! I just have noticed that the carbonation in my beer is different than let's say a bottle conditioned Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Maybe it's not a function of carbonation, but the amount of residual protein perhaps?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
ahoffman565
Recipes 

Thanks, Revvy...you got to my second thought first! I'll have to see if there's a common thread in all of my batches...

Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When you figure it out, let us know what it is ... so I can copy it.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
ahoffman565
Recipes 

Looking through me previous recipes, it seems that a few of them did have wheat as an ingredient. The batch I have fermenting right now has no wheat so I'll need to compare when it's ready. But for now, I may be leaning towards the wheat as the culprit.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
...when the beer is poured, the head is made up of extremely fine bubbles which take a long time to subside.
I LOVE that...the meringue-ier the better imo.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Have you examined the same beers earlier in the bottle-life? Does the characteristic of carbondation change over time? From what i understand, "early" carbonation is bigger, broader bubbles, and given enough time they can become the more desired, smaller bubbles - possibly manifesting themselves in your creamier appearance.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I LOVE that...the meringue-ier the better imo.
I've been drinking and brewing a lot of belgians lately, higher cab levels and lots of wheat = frothy meringue heads and really pretty lacing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply