Crafting Recipes for back to back brew days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staleb

Reaction score
So I have the chance to make 2 beers before I travel for a month and let them sit and ferment. I am going to order grain but want to use the whole hops I have here. I will be fermenting in the mid 70's (my apartment is warm) and have to buy grains by the pound, so it would be great if I could use the same specialty grains for both recipes to minimize waste. My efficiency tends to be around 60-65 % (though im working on improving it). I want to brew a Hefeweizen or Wit beer for one of the batches and maybe a saison or something imperial for the second (I'm committed to the wit or weisse for one of the batches and really have no idea what to do for the second).

I have the following whole hops:

2 oz fuggle 4.7 aa
3 oz magnum 14.2 aa
4 oz williamette 5.1 aa
2 oz amarillo 9.3 aa
3 oz cascade 7.2 aa
2 oz goldings 5.0 aa

None of the recipes I have seen for the wit use these hops, I was wondering if any of these hops would be suitable for the wit...

Thanks for all the advice

With all that hops, why not pick a pale ale and dry hop the daylights out of it. I also recommend hops in the boil for 60, 20, 10, 5, 2 min. (0.5-1.0 each addition). Let it ferment, transfer to a new bucket and dry hop with 1-3 ozs. You could also try a hop tea addition given the amount of hops you have. I used the hop addition schedule above and got real close to a Bells Two-hearted ale (one of my favs). I'd personally save the amarillo for the dry hop, use the magnum for bittering, and the cascade for the late additions but that's just my preference. Anyway, my two cents..

Thanks for the advice, I think one of the 2 brews will probably be a pale ale of some sort, i guess im wondering if any of the hops i have would be ok to use for a wit beer...

Back