Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Couple of PM questions??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
JohnnyK68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Couple of PM questions??

Im going to do my first PM tomorrow and have a few questions. First off I will be mashing 2 lbs of American 2 row, 2lbs of Flaked oats, and .5lbs of crystal 60L. Basicly I just need to be sure I can just add the flaked oats to the mash without dong anything to them.
Also I am planning on doing this with a dutch oven and using the oven. I will let the oven get to 170 (lowest setting, and then click it off when I put the pot in it. I will get the water to 170 before adding grains. I will use 6.75 qts of water. I will sparge with 170* water.
When I sparge with the water do I collect the first amount of water and run it back through the grains? Also how much water shoould I use to sparge? Thats about it.
Does everything seem right? I dont want to screw this up. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK68
Basicly I just need to be sure I can just add the flaked oats to the mash without dong anything to them.
When I sparge with the water do I collect the first amount of water and run it back through the grains? Also how much water shoould I use to sparge? Thats about it.
Does everything seem right? I dont want to screw this up. Thanks.
I believe you can add the oats to the mash but I've never used them before. A more expert opinion is needed here.

For the sparge you will need about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 gallons of water. (About 1/2 gallon per pound of grain)

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You will need to get your mash itself to the proper mashing temps of between 149f and 158f and 170f as a strike water temp seems high.
Plugging into promash gives me this
For a doughing in temp of 152f and a grain temp of 68f, mashing a total of 4 pounds of grain with 12 quarts of water you'll need a strike temp of 157f depending on the thermal mass of your mash vessel.

You can add oats to the mash direct if it is minute oats. 2 pounds of oats is a lot of oats for 2 pounds of 2 row to convert. You sure you need all that 2 pounds of oats?

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Flaked oats are fine for a direct mash. I'd give it a full hour & even stir it once or twice. Temperature is really critical with oats, you have to keep the mash right around 152F.

So, pre-heat the dutch oven, either with hot water or in your stove.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply