Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > This could be tricky (accidental AG convert)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
MikeRLynch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
I have a wort chiller. The problem was the hose I thought was getting a good connection to my sink wasnt. After I set it up I walked away to give it some time. The water in hose popped off and I flooded the bathroom and couldnt get the hose to connect good so I had to go with just letting it chill outside.
Whoops, my bad! Thats what I get for drinking 3 saisons before trolling these boards

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've made 20 batches in an un-modified cooler by sparging in my bottling bucket. I did use a copper tube that goes into the spigot in the bucket, across the bottom, bent 90°, then a clamped on mesh. I drilled a small bung to hold the tube in the spigot. The tuse goes all the way across to help retain it in the spigot, can't accidentally stir it out. I use a 4qt sauce pan to ladle the soup into the bucket. Oh, I line the bucket with a paint strainer bag from Home Depot.

My recatangular cooler is a size smaller though. More efficient that way. 34 qt? I've done 15# of grain in it, which fills the bucket to the brim. Oh, pour in some of the 176 water first, to pre-heat the corners. The inside are buckling just a bit after 20 hours at 152.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #13
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a success all things considered. My first AG took for freakin' ever because I hadn't put enough holes in my cpvc manifold and had only a trickle of wort. I fixed that problem before the next batch and things went well from then on.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply