Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cost Difference AG vs Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #31
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I do it Because.

I like the beer
I like the hobby
It saves me a fortune.

If I drink 2 pints a night at the pub 5 times a week that's £20
If I drink 2 pints of homebrew 5 times a week that's £5

£15 a week saving and my kit only costing me £100

In less than 2 months I'm well in front.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #32
NEPABREWER

Recipes 

I love that answer Orfy. I spend anywhere from 30-40 per case (24-12oz) on microbrew -
money is a concern even if it is a hobby as I have many hobbies. I suppose I really only need a cooler-tun,kettle, wort-chiller. Pretty low buck stuff huh

Primary #1 too
Primary #2 busy
Secondary #1 with
Secondary#2 school
Secondary#3 to brew
Bottled and fine: Belgian spiced wheat
Bass Ale in the keg

Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #33
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Brewing is many things to many people.

From those who want to do "Dorm Brews" with 75% sugar 25% malt, to those who want full blown BrewPub facilities in their shed.

I'm all for the KISS principle.

But we all love beer (or we should)

Last edited by Orfy; 01-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #34
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Ditto on the Orfy answer. I know via Quicken that I spent $1,200 at my local pub in '06. Some of that was food (small, percentage, don't call AA) but could you imagine the nice equip I could've had for that?!? Not going there as often in 07. Uhm, I made 22 batches as well but I had some parties .

AG can be very cheap if you get into it with an initial investment and stay with that equipment. Problem is once you jump into AG you realize all the other cool "stuff" that's out there that was completely unnecessary with extract. You then want to continually upgrade until your garage looks like the Pastors and he's still buying stuff! I'm a gadget freak though.

Look at Ed_Wort, he wants to spend $25k+ on his brewhaus

Gotta go back to designing my 3-tier ($) and tracking my UPS order for my wort wizard ($) now .

Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #35
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I recently gained the ability to AG brew. In the warmer months it's going to be SWEET!!!...... It's still a bit chilly to spend about 5-7 hours outside. Tonight I'm brewing up my SWMBO's First batch we'll make together. For her first batch I diddn't want to overwhelm her with why is this done and that is done of AG brew. I want to keep it simple, hook her good! This batch IS more expensive but !@#$ it's COLD outside after the sun goes down!! I'm sure I'll continue to make a few extract beers eventhough I have a AG system. I feel like I have to apologize to him(his name is "The Brother Yarr". I spend alot of time with him. So much, in fact, that I consider him a friend and every friend needs a name now, don't they?). Instead of getting 10 gallons of beer we'll only get 5. yeast is 6.75 a smack pack. I can make a starter and stretch that out for my 10 gal batch, which drives down the price, but alas. Just a 5 gal batch. "shrug" Oh well, I still love the process, and the smells, and the beer, and the......

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #36
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
I do it Because.

I like the beer
I like the hobby
It saves me a fortune.

If I drink 2 pints a night at the pub 5 times a week that's £20
If I drink 2 pints of homebrew 5 times a week that's £5

£15 a week saving and my kit only costing me £100

In less than 2 months I'm well in front.
Funny...I remember my first time in England, the exchange rate was almost 1 to 1 so that 90p pint cost me $1.

I was on a flat expense of $30 per day for meals, one of the hotel receptionists took a liking to me so my breakfast was always wiped off the bill, lunch cost about 2-3 quid at the office canteen so I was drinking my way through every beer, at every pub I could find. We made it our mission to keep spiraling outwards to find every small country pub we could. Made loads of new friends, found some great beers, and gained 30 pounds. Not bad for a 3 month stay

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 PM   #37
dirtymartini

Recipes 

Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPABREWER
I love that answer Orfy. I spend anywhere from 30-40 per case (24-12oz) on microbrew -
money is a concern even if it is a hobby as I have many hobbies. I suppose I really only need a cooler-tun,kettle, wort-chiller. Pretty low buck stuff huh
Howdy Neighbor!

Quote:
He brews beer AND is a pilot. There is no female on this planet that would tolerate both of those time- and money-consuming hobbies at once.

Quick Reply