Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Corn Grits VERSUS Flaked Corn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

As I mentioned above I used grits and minute rice when I brewed the Cream of Three Crops. To me the corn taste from the grits is really strong. So much that I'm not enjoying it, since I'm not crazy about the corn flavor. YMMV,

I had split off a gallon the day I brewed, and that gallon was dry hopped with NZ Rakau. That was really good. The hop aroma/flavor cut down on the corn flavor a lot. I wish I would have dry hopped the entire batch!

MattHollingsworth Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
shamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
Reviving the thread.

I'm going to use corn for the first time. I know corn doesn't give a LOT of flavor, but I've had pre prohibition lagers before that did have some corn character. I'm looking to get a bit of corn character. Locally, we have polenta and flaked corn. Any idea if I could get corn character from either if I used something like 25%???

Any insight is appreciated.

Oh ya...25% will definitely give you corn character in the Triple. I don't know how that would taste/be characteristic to the style, however, I applaud your innovation. I would like to know how that goes. I use 15% in light lagers and its perfect

Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
MattHollingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilton View Post
Oh ya...25% will definitely give you corn character in the Triple. I don't know how that would taste/be characteristic to the style, however, I applaud your innovation. I would like to know how that goes. I use 15% in light lagers and its perfect
I don't much care if it's characteristic to the style. Styles be damned! ;-)

I'm looking to basically make a beer I like anyway and replace the sugar, which is usually a substantial amount in my tripels and most tripels, with corn. I've had good luck with Belgians with a few different grains and think some of the yeasts play well with grain. Anyway, can't hurt to try, I figure. I'd like to get some of the corn flavor to come through.

Quick Reply