Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cooling question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
bonnybunch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cooling question...

So, last week I brewed my first batch on my new setup, I'm working abroad in Russia and was sick of drinking bad beer. I brewed AG back home a few years ago but fell out of the habit.

I brewed a Simcoe SMaSH and everything went smoothly, the smell coming out of the fermenter is awesome!

My question is this - my flat is red hot in the winter (government controlled heating) so it never gets below 80. Using a swamp cooler/t-shirt/frozen bottles & a fan I can get the temp down to a steady 65. I plan on leaving the beer in primary a month before bottling but was wondering if I need to maintain a strict 65 temperature the whole month, or once the initial fermentation's done I can let the beer warm up a bit without any off-flavors developing and use my one fan elsewhere.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Temp control is most important during active fermentation or somewhere during the first week. After that it is less of an issue but I wouldn't recommend ambient which in your case would be pretty warm

If you can keep it in the swamp cooler you wouldn't have to keep swapping out frozen bottles and the water alone will help maintain a steady lower temp.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1125 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1282

I live in AZ and my house is around 80f during the summer. I also use the swamp cooler to maintain my temps and after primary fermentation is over, I let the temp rise up to 75f depending on the style and maintain there. Then I bottle and let carb at ambient temps and toss em all in the fridge as soon as they are carbed which can be as short as a week at those temps on low-mid gravity brews.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
bonnybunch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cheers for the replies guys, that's exactly what I need to know

Quick Reply