The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Cooler" tun size for AG brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
DrewsBrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I came into a friend's AG brewing session mid-way recently and he was just entering the sparging stage... I think. I could see into the mid-level cooler and it looked like he had the grain (and water) in there and was sprinkling hot water over it. So I'm curious - what goes into the top container of the three-tier system? Is it just full of hot water? Are the contents different at each level if you're using converted kegs and burners?

Tap 1:
Tap 2:
Tap 3:
Bottles:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #12
robmee
Recipes 

I use a 50qt colman extreem cooler with a coverted keg (if you do this route GET THE HOP STOPPER! from dennis aka tnlandsailor). I got the cooler on a after labor day sale for $6 so it is nice, follow crusenews' instructions for el'cheapo mash tun. I have mashed 28 lbs of grain with out trouble( I do 10 gal batches...5 for bottle 5 for keg). I use a 30qt stock pot to heat water for striking and sparging so it is easier. Just get more than one bottle of propane, YOU WILL RUN OUIck in the middle of a boil.hehehe

Rob

I brewed, I drank, I have brew again...a neverending cycle

Last edited by robmee; 01-11-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrews
I came into a friend's AG brewing session mid-way recently and he was just entering the sparging stage... I think. I could see into the mid-level cooler and it looked like he had the grain (and water) in there and was sprinkling hot water over it. So I'm curious - what goes into the top container of the three-tier system? Is it just full of hot water? Are the contents different at each level if you're using converted kegs and burners?
the top kettle is a Hot Liquor Tank (HLT). i just use mine to heat my sparge water. once the mash has finished it's saccharification rest for 60 minutes, and i'm ready to "rinse" the grain bed w/ about 170-175 degree water in the mash/lauter tun (middle kettle), i start the sparge ring a going. you'll want to keep about and 1" or so of sparge water above the top of the grain bed as you sparge/lauter into the brew kettle (bottom level kettle).

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #14
canadianhomebrewer
Recipes 

Default Rubbermaid/Igloo cooler??????

i was told by alot of stores and coprate office not to buy the newRubbermaid/Igloo cooler because the inside liner of the new liners will warp and after 5 to 10 times of use it will warp and crack the liner if anyone out theere is using these new coolers not the old ones please tell what kind of condition it is in that would be great and if you can includ how long you have had it and how many times you have used that would be great thank alot

Old 01-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhomebrewer
i was told by alot of stores and coprate office not to buy the newRubbermaid/Igloo cooler because the inside liner of the new liners will warp and after 5 to 10 times of use it will warp and crack the liner if anyone out theere is using these new coolers not the old ones please tell what kind of condition it is in that would be great and if you can includ how long you have had it and how many times you have used that would be great thank alot
I hope not. I just bought one this morning, and was planning on christening it on Wednesday. How do you tell a new one from an old one? Mine looks the same as the old one that I have been using for several years without any problem. (At least, no problems related to the cooler )

-a.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #16
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I've used my Igloo Maxcold about 10 times and it is definitely warping, but no cracks yet. If/when it cracks, I'm upgrading to a rectangular cooler so I can do 10 gallon batches or bigger beers.

FWIW, even though it is warped, It isn't somethng I am concerned with. It still holds temperatures fine.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #17
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
I hear ya...all my wife knows is that the keggle cost $99 plus $20 shipping. I didn't tell her about the other $150 of fittings that arrived the next day. And the kids are just gonna have to get scholarships.

Just put them to work in your brewery and go pro.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 01-10-2006, 02:43 AM   #18
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

In theory I believe a wide rectangular verses a round deep cooler for a lauter/mash tun will yield better results. I base this on that commercial tuns are kept wide to keep the grain bed shallow increasing the surface area for better efficiency and ease of sparging. This may be a minimal concern for a home brewer but if I can find a 10 gallon stainless kettle that resembles a tuna can it will be my next lauter tun. I will have to agree that whatever kettle and/or cooler you choose, it needs to be 10 gallons. The only exception might be the hot liquor tank which a 5 gallon vessel should satisfy 99% of your needs.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #19
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
... Rubbermaid/Igloo cooler because the inside liner of the new liners will warp and after 5 to 10 times of use it will warp and crack ...
My mash tun is a rectangular Rubbermaid. I'd had it for 3-4 years and converted it to a mash tun last Summer. I noticed after my last brew session that the inside liner was starting to warp.

So, yep - I'm thinking I may be looking at converting another, more durable cooler in the future. I'll still be looking at another rectangular picnic cooler, because I really like my current set up!

Would this be the mother of all rectangular mash tun coolers?

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 01-10-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:05 AM   #20
tundra45
Recipes 

Yep, that's the cooler I use for 10-gal batches. SWMBO bought it for me for my B-day (and I never even hinted at it) what a great gift. I have mashed 29# of grist in it without incident.
Steve
Stevenson, WA

Quick Reply