Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cooler Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
theganda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooler Conversion

I see a lot of square (read: not upright rubbermaid) cooler conversions on this site, but almost all of them use a copper manifold. Has anyone had any success using a stripped stainless steel braid? would that cause too much funneling action over a square grainbed? I don't readily have the tools to cut, solder, and build the copper manifold at the time, so I want to take the easy way if it will create good results. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A stainless braid will work fine.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

I use a SS braid with a rectangular cooler, but I'm also not fly sparging. Channelling isn't an issue for batch sparging. You batch sparging or fly?

Keep in mind, too, that if you DO want a manifold, you can use C-PVC (*not* regular PVC, that's not rated for mash temps). If you do use copper you don't really need to solder anything, just dry-fit. Cutting copper is NBD, just get a pipe cutter (a few bucks at the hardware store).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

go stainless or go with copper, its your choice, either method will work and is cheap. The problem is where folks get convinced they have to insert something into the braid to keep it from collapsing. Keep it simple and just try it. Braid is like 4 bucks. If it dont work for you try the copper.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
theganda
Recipes 

Can I just use one braid the length of the cooler, or should I create a circle (or rectangle) by splitting it before the exit spout? Does it make a difference?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by theganda View Post
Can I just use one braid the length of the cooler, or should I create a circle (or rectangle) by splitting it before the exit spout? Does it make a difference?
If you plan to batch sparge, see this....

dennybrew

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
If you plan to batch sparge, see this....

dennybrew
Denny is right on! I built my mash tun based on his instructions and it works fantastic, and it's inexpensive. There has to be 1000's, maybe millions, of these in use today. For an average beer (1.050 OG) I usually get around 75-80% Brewhouse efficiency. Cheers!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
de_ronde
Recipes 

I opted for a 5 gallon round cooler that uses a spigot much like the FlyGuy post that is on the Wiki. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

It seems that my stainless braid will leave a bit of deadspace at the bottom if I attach it directly to the barb inside the cooler. Would it make sense to add a couple of inches of hi-temp vinyl tubing to act as a dip tube to get some siphon effect from to bottom of the cooler, or should i just keep it simple and attach the braid directly to the hose barb?

Quick Reply