Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Cool mash for OG reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
skifast1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cool mash for OG reading?

AG n00b question: After forgetting to take an OG reading on my first AG attempt (d'oh!), I'm getting ready for round 2 with EdWort's Haus Ale. As I'm planning out the steps a question occurred to me: does anyone bother to cool their mash sample for a 'spot on' OG reading, or do ppl just figure 'ah, pretty close to 150 deg' and adjust the OG reading accordingly?

I'd be tempted to just adjust for temp, as the time spent cooling the sample could be used for more productive purposes, say, sampling another homebrew

Thx!

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always adjust for temp, which I measure with a thermometer. Its easy.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I first started AG brewing I used to take a pre-boil gravity. I couldn't be bothered anymore. I'm very consistently getting at least 80% now so I don't worry about it. If you are going to take the readings though, definitely cool the sample first (just throw it in the freezer, it doesn't take long to cool). The farther the wort is from the calibration temp of the hydrometer the less accurate the reading.

That said I have been considering getting a refractometer. While I'm not so worried about my pre-boil gravity I am concerned about over sparging and extracting tannins.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I only take an SG at the tail end of my runnings from the second batch sparge and do so for note taking only. It's mostly to see how well I've done sparging. If the efficiency is low and I noted a 1.020+ reading, I know I could have sparged more to fix that. If it's an off flavor and I noted a 1.010 or lower reading, I might have pulled some tannins. It's just good for troubleshooting.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
That said I have been considering getting a refractometer. While I'm not so worried about my pre-boil gravity I am concerned about over sparging and extracting tannins.
Brad -- check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=014
This is the same refractometer and vendor that I purchased. They guy is in Vancouver and charges reasonable shipping. The unit works flawlessly, and it is REALLY convenient. You definitely won't regret it!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Maybe I'm a little too comfortable. I don't take a reading until I'm racking out of the cooled kettle into the primary. What's done is done and I just want to get a mark for ABV readings later on.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just place a cup of wort in a bucket of cold water. Take a reading when the wort has cooled to 60 or so - just for curiosity. Doesn't take too much effort - but I agree with BierMuncher - what's done is done. I just go with whatever the gravity is - I don't try to adjust it with water or extract.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tend to do the same (not bother until I am done), but there is something to be said for knowing your efficiency before you go into the boil.

If you have a new system or your process isn't very repeatable, you really want to know whether you significantly under-shot or over-shot your mash efficiency. If you did, it is going to affect your hop utilization and your bitterness-to-gravity ratio, which is one of the most important taste aspects of your finished beer. If you have an idea that your are above or below concentration of fermentables going into the boil kettle, at least you then have the opportunity to re-calculate your hop utilization and predicted IBU's, and then make last-minute corrections to your hop additions, if required.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I take a cup or so out of the end of the boil with a pyrex cup and put it in the fridge. When everything is pitched, cleaned and put away the sample is under 80 and ready to go for measurement and tasting.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 08-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Like I mentioned, I don't test in order to compensate. I just do it to compare my sparge methods for learning purposes.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply