Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > converting a regular recipe into imperial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
bobeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default converting a regular recipe into imperial

Hey all. I was wondering if there is a "rule of thumb" for making an imperial version from a regular beer? I'm using the brewers friend calculator to help but I'm having trouble with the ratios. Any thoughts?

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again."
-Groucho Marx

Kegged: Stony Man Pale
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
Primary: Hill 56 clone
On Deck: Ava ale, Red Ryes ale, Priceless Pup Brown,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I don't know how Brewer's Friend works, but if I were pumping up the ABV of a recipe in BeerSmith, I would just do a normal scaling of the recipe up to about a 7-9 gallon batch of the original recipe to keep all of the ratios the same, then just change the batch size variable downward until I hit the ABV I was looking for. Might take a bit of fiddling, but it'd be pretty simple, and would keep everything in the same balance as the original recipe, just with more malt to contribute to ABV.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

bobeer Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
bobeer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Cool, I'll play around with it some more. I'll look at the %'s of the total grist too. Forgot about them... Thanks Topher.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again."
-Groucho Marx

Kegged: Stony Man Pale
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
Primary: Hill 56 clone
On Deck: Ava ale, Red Ryes ale, Priceless Pup Brown,

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
I don't know how Brewer's Friend works, but if I were pumping up the ABV of a recipe in BeerSmith, I would just do a normal scaling of the recipe up to about a 7-9 gallon batch of the original recipe to keep all of the ratios the same, then just change the batch size variable downward until I hit the ABV I was looking for. Might take a bit of fiddling, but it'd be pretty simple, and would keep everything in the same balance as the original recipe, just with more malt to contribute to ABV.
So lets say I havea SMaSH recipe I want to "imperialize" and the origional recipe was 10lbs MO and 4oz Fuggles...

I figure out I need 15lbs MO to hit my desired ABV, you would up thehops to 6oz? You would up the hops by the same percentage, and wouldn't play around with the IBUs to figure the hops addition?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An important consideration: the more grain you add to raise the OG, the more residual sugars you will have in the finished beer, assuming no change in grist percentages. As you go up in gravity, you will want to shift some specialty grains to base malts and/or base malts to simple sugars. An APA doubled wouldn't be a DIPA; it'd be a barleywine.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Quick Reply