Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Converting recipes- extract to PM/AG to PM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Converting recipes- extract to PM/AG to PM

So I've been browsing the recipe database, having made the decision to do PM on the path to AG brewing. Is there a conversion factor for converting extract to PM, or AG to PM?

I'm a Macophile, so I'm tinkering with Beer Alchemy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Southwood

Recipes 

1 lb of base grain = .8 lb liquid extract = .6 lb dry extract.

I use Palmer's countertop PM method from BYO using 4 lbs of grain in a 2 gallon cooler. I mash all of my specialty malts with as much base malt as I can squeeze in to get to 4 lbs. I then figure out how much extract the base grains are worth, and subtract that from the total extract amount in the recipe.

Using BeerAlchemy, set your procedure to the partial mash setting for an acurate assesment of your recipe.

Cheers!

Also pouring: Weizen-bock, Solstice Ale '06

Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's a ton of good threads with plenty of info/tips already on here, including links to some great articles and pdf files for doing it. Use the search function and you will find all the info you need.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the advice, all. I located the Ken Schwartz article via the search and will spend some time poring over it later today.

Quick Reply