Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > convert multi-step to single infusion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
island_dj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default convert multi-step to single infusion?

I'm new to brewing - actually still reading and learning before taking the plunge - and I have a mash question. If a recipe specifies a multi-step mash, can the mash be done with a single infusion? If so, which temperature should be used? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by island_dj View Post
I'm new to brewing - actually still reading and learning before taking the plunge - and I have a mash question. If a recipe specifies a multi-step mash, can the mash be done with a single infusion? If so, which temperature should be used? Thanks!
What is the rest schedule? That is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
island_dj
Recipes 

For example, here is a multi-step schedule from a belgian ale recipe:

Mash in with 12 qts. water @ 122 degrees F. and rest 30 min. Raise to 140 F and rest 10-15 min. Raise to 150 F and wait till starch is converted(90 min.) Mash out at 168 F and rest 10 min.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

That first rest is a protein rest. Unless you are using a high percentage of unmodified grain (flaked or unmalted wheat, rye, oatmeal) it is not necessary.

The rest at 140 encourages high fermentability, Belgians are generally pretty dry which is why many recipes have sugar in them.

The rest at 150 is kind of middle of the road between fermentable and unfermentable sugars, although I think it still favors fermentables.

You could probably get away with a single infusion at 148-150 and use about .5 lbs of Carapils to help with the dextrins.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah I would generally take the longest rest and go thereabouts or slightly lower. Depends on the rest schedule though. For instance, the one you have is a dry beer. I'd mash around 148-149 for 60 minutes. If the schedule was 140 for 10 minutes then 158 for an hour, I'd probably shoot for 156-157, again, based on the temps and time at each rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply